Power steering alternitive. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power steering alternitive.

I'm currently looking for a cheaper substitution for Red Line Power Steering Fluid. The cheap stuff foams too easily but I don't want to afford Red Line any longer. I know trans fluid has some anti foaming agent's in it as well but not as much as power steering fluid. Is there a commercially available hydraulic fluid suitable for use with sustained high RPM use with a small reservoir?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

What exactly is causing the foaming in the first place?

A power steering pump is essentially a 100% duty cycle hydraulic pump used in a light duty application.

It is meant to give the extra assistance as needed while the vehicle is at or near idle, rest, or during turning sharper angles while driving.

My best guess in your application with the foaming (cavitation) occurring at higher engine speeds you are reducing the life of the pump, and the effect the pump is designed for.

I would try the hardest, but most effective fix first, use a smaller pulley on the pump to reduce it's speed and the high end cavitation you are trying to get rid of.

Another way to reduce cavitation is to use an accumulator for some place to let the air bubbles separate from the fluid.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:10 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You might take a look at aviation hydraulic fluids use in flight control and landing gear systems. Any military aviation hydraulic fluids with MIL specs on it would probably have outstanding anti foam qualities as well as high heat resistance. Military surplus stores may be a source of some cheap stuff that is about as good as money can buy.

Trees
Old 06-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I check on it.

I'm looking to lower my budget on my alky modified. I don't have the sponsor money or appearance money coming in like with the late model. I'm currently looking for a bigger pulley for the pump and a smaller pulley for the crank. Water pump I want to stay 1:1.
I need the left side weight and instead of adding lead, I will run a stock type power steering pump with a home made reservoir for aeration purposes., I'll be the laughing stock if it don't work., I'll be money ahead if it does., I normally turn the engine around 7000 high to a low of 5000. Stock pumps won't last long at these RPM's without serious anti-cavitation properties.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Cavitation in a gear (rotor) pump can only be caused by too small a feed pipe for the flow going through it. If cavitation is truly your problem, you might try enlarging the inlet port on the pump to eliminate the restriction. Make it a super highway from the reservoir to the pump gears (rotor).

Aeration may be the problem caused by the return line entraining air into the fluid. This is a function of the design of the fluid reservoir which may have a fluid/air interface too near the fluid return inlet. If that is the case, try a dual chamber reservoir, one reservoir with the return line in it placed near the pump with the big inlet port. This working reservoir is in turn fed by a hose from second reservoir higher in the system that has a fluid/gas interface. The hose interconnect doesn't need to be large since all it does is supply a minute makeup volume for any lost out the system.

There is no reason the gear pump itself can't do the deed on a race car if it has adequate fluid supply ports.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I managed to find larger lines and streamline the entry and exit port's of both high and low pressure side. The reserve tank is mounted high and left near the mid plate and two 5/8 lines from there to the bottom and top of the stock type pump. I put a few washers under the valve to increase assist on long races. I should think this will suffice to rid the system of air. If not, It wouldn't be the only time I ran without power steering. My arms did hurt for a few day's though.

Thanks to all.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.