power steering box with early hemi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
firedome

Wiki Edits: 0

power steering box with early hemi

Has anyone out there been able to find a way to make the stock Chrysler power steering box fit with an early Hemi - specificly a 330-341 DeSoto engine? The engine mounts in fine with standard 318 mounts and fits like a glove with no modifications, except the pitman shaft backlash adjuster on the steering box pokes right into #1 exhaust port. Lifting the engine up 1/2" clears it but creates several other problems, such as vertical centering in the engine compartment and the trans is too close to the tunnel. (I know a manual box will work but I like to be difficult!) Also, retro fitting rack and pinion steering will induce bump steer.
The look I'm trying to achieve is as stock appearing as possible for a '74 Road Runner.
I'm considering a machining modification to the pitman shaft but would like to see if anyone has solved this problem using....something! Anything!
I've searched my extensive library of info and the web but all I can find is that "it can't be done."
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

There is no such thing as "can't be done"

I don't know exactly what is under those bulbous caps that house the sector shaft adjustment screw, but I do know that most all of that stuff is hardened and ground...Modifications to the shaft might prove to be difficult. Maybe you could make a new cap that was shorter and had a setscrew that locked up the shaft from the side after adjustment. .

Maybe you could drop the steering box down, and bend the pitman arm back up to bring the drag link back to it's previous level so you won't mess up your steering geometry. Keep in maind that doing that will make it so you have to bend the idler arm so it's effective length will be the same length as the pitman arm...Also this will get you a slower turning steering linkage and may cut your steering radius down.

Here is a total hack solution... How about cutting off the top of the screw and locknut after you adjusted it..then weld it up.

How about a saginaw box?

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Since all of the early hemis use simple donut style engine mounts why not fab up a new set that raises the front enough to clear the steering box?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I've been fighting issues with headers on a dodge early hemi and the stock steering box. I had to lift 2" front and back to address the issue. There have been MANY other issues that came up like linkages hitting and needing to be fabricated to work right. The stock car exhaust manifold on the dodge was basically a log with a back outlet. Similar to the 318 a body ones. You may be able to fabricate a driver side exhaust that works in a similar way? I'd have to see what you are dealing with to come up with something.

Think exhaust plate from a custom header kit, with four slight bends up connecting to a log tube capped on the front, with an outlet right out the back, or where ever works. It may not be the most efficient IE header set up but it would probably work. Depending on your welding skills this may be an option.

I think there are plates on fleabay to make exhausts, or you could get one made using an exhaust gasket set as a pattern.

May not be pretty, but it could work.

Also if you are thinking of a modern spin on filter upgrade the vertical (filter down) one may have issues clearing the steering as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm trying to do more or less the same thing-putting a blown 331 hemi into a Ford F-100 with a 1980 Dodge Aspen graft. The power steering box is creating problems here too.I managed to shoehorn the 351 W I'm using now by offcentering the engine and using Mustang shorty headers, but I can't see how to put my new 331 to fit with PS. How did your project end up??
Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

angle mill stock ?

some times you can angle Mill the cast iron manifold face to get a slight tilt for clearance.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.