Power steering brackets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power steering brackets

Im having trouble getting the power steering pump on my truck. This pump came off the 350 that used to be in this truck however i cant make it mount up right. Anyone have any pictures of the brackets i need for a 79 C10 with a SBC in it? I attached a pic of the brackets i have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power steering bracket.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	36711   Click image for larger version

Name:	power steering bracket2.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	36712   Click image for larger version

Name:	power steering bracket3.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	36713  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
*** Please post solutions ***

Last photo:

I have the EXACT same pump... it hangs off the water pump on the driver's side. Anyway, even after bringing home two different mounts from the junk yard I still couldn't get it to work. I ended up using 1/4 x 1 flat and bolted it to the head, then welded a bolt to the lowest end of it so the slider end would lock in place,It worked...

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM

I dont have a picture of it but the missing bracket goes from the exhaust manifold to the pump. Dirtinla is right the bottom half mounts to the water pump. If your running headers then a custom bracket is probably a good idea thats what i did. I used a piece of flat bar with like a half moon shape with 2 holes for bolting to the head and one hole with a nut welded to it for the tensioning part of the pump to attach to. Sorry i dont have pics. But hopefully i explained it well enough.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman386
I dont have a picture of it but the missing bracket goes from the exhaust manifold to the pump. Dirtinla is right the bottom half mounts to the water pump. If your running headers then a custom bracket is probably a good idea thats what i did. I used a piece of flat bar with like a half moon shape with 2 holes for bolting to the head and one hole with a nut welded to it for the tensioning part of the pump to attach to. Sorry i dont have pics. But hopefully i explained it well enough.
I have a mysterious bracket that is flat, and tall on one end and short on the other. one hole on the short end, two holes on the tall end. It would bolt up to the accessory holes in the head, as they line up, but its not long enough to reach the adjustment slot on the pump. Also, the hole that the pump would mount to is threaded, and the threads stop about an inch or so in. if you look at the pics, you'll see a nut welded to the back of the bracket. If this bracket was correct, the bolt would need to go all the way thru the water pump and out the back and into that nut welded to the back of the bracket, as that is what it should tighten into. I believe i have the wrong brackets and that the slot for adjusting belt tention should be up close to the water pump. The threaded hole i believe is for the bolt that holds the tention on the belt. Does anyone have any pictures of another mid-late 70s truck bracket?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:58 AM

Torque454 what you have is the same problem as I had, take a good look at the first pic you posted the bracket that has the nut welded to it goes over the bottom part of your water pump on the right hand side if your looking under the hood. The missing bracket also has a nut welded to it. It is a very goofy almost S shaped bracket that comes off of the first and most fore front manifold bolt. If you are running headers this bracket will not work without a spacer. It truely is best to fab the bracket you need out of flat bar as both dirtnla has stated as well as myself.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:37 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

howdy there

there were a couple different styles of the mid '70s and up sbc engine power steering pump bracket setups

some used a bolt for pivot adjustment on the exh manifold mounted bracket

others used a bolt

they differ in the entire setup

the bigger bracket is the main pump cradle bracket

the other one is adjustment/brace, etc

commonly you must use spacers or washers on the front exh manifold stud to space the little bracket out away from the main cradle bracket to make the adjustment hole or stud line up

almost always have to

around 1/2" or 3/4" thick of spacer/washers
73-up sbc only

72 and older was completely and totally different and reached back to the engine mount for extra bracing and also mounted lower on the engine than 73-up sbc;s

also the setups differ from a/c to factory a/c delete

you can modify the a/c style upper bracket by cutting the upper part off it completely with the bandsaw or torch etc.

in which i do commonly as well.

the brackets and pumps in the pics above are very early non a/c design

not preferable to me. i dont like that setup much and technically that pump reservoir housing necl design is 72 older and also 79 older sbc g series van in which used a cast iron cradle bracket that bolted to two bolt holes down low on the front of the block by the freeze plug there, i have one sitting around here if you want a pic(73-79 sbc vans used old leftover '67-72 sbc parts almost always, including power steering pump setups., but not the adjuster bracket however, in shich was unique to the '73-'79 vans)

heres a 77 chevy van 350ci one i have laying around here that uses the same lower iron cradle bracket(to bolt to face of block down low) also used on the '72 older trucks:

good luck

Last edited by fast68; 03-09-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 AM

Last photo:

I'm going to find the correct pump and brackets. I've found a guy locally parting out a 79 only difference is his is 4x4 and mine is not. I dont think that is a problem tho. This setup will not work i dont think even if i fabricated a bracket. This bracket is designed for a strait through unthreaded hole in the bottom of the water pump. Mine has a hole that is threaded but only about 1.5" in. Its not possible for the bolt to go all the way thru and into the back side of the bracket. Therefor, using this bracket would make the PS pump hang from only that front hole on the bracket. On top of that, it does not allow for much "swing". I believe that hole in the w/p is intended to be used to tighten the pump down in the adjustment slot. Kind of like my 78 454. So, i am going to get a new bracket. I took this setup off this truck when it had a 350 in it 2 yrs ago, its sat without a motor since then. Now im putting in a 305. I think the person who put the engine in this truck last time dropped in a complete engine accessories and all from an older vehicle (the 350 was not original, it had a 6 cyl originally) I think i no longer have all the accessories from that engine. I did find the pulleys from it, tho and i had an alternator bracket that bolted right up.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

oh yes i forgot about that straight through unthreaded hole water pump cradle type pump bracket! this one is not as common as the other styles

i have one of these setups however, and i think i ended up putting it on my 82 trans am hmm... im pretyt sure anyways.. id have to lift the hood and check again though hmm..

i dont like this style but it happened to work on the t/a, and so i went with it haha

the trucks usually didnt use this cradle type and instead 99% of the time used the threaded hole in waterpump style

i could get some pics of different ones, i could pic the ones in the 82 k10, the 80 k20, the 79 c10, the 78 c10, the 85 elky ss out here, all sbc engine powered, so you can see the differences,. plus i have different 70s and 80s sbc brackets and a coupel pumps laying around in stash piles from years of stripping vehicles.

if you got the wrong water pump then it will mess you up on power steering setup

99% of them are threaded hole style

also wrong exh manifold style will mess you up on the outer smaller adjutment bracket that bolts to the exh manifold.,

the 70s style are below spark plugs, and about 90% of the 80s style ones are above spark plugs(except in HD trucks such as most 1 tons and many vans etc with 350 engine LM1 RPO code HD emissions equipment, and without EGR valve and catlytic converter from factory, over 8200 or 8600 GVWR)

also 4x4 or 4x2 doesnt matter

same engine same brackets, just that they differ a/c vs. non a/c and 70s style vs. 80s style(almost always)

so..

peace!

Last edited by fast68; 03-09-2009 at 02:23 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.