Power Steering conversion question / Bump Steer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 07:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power Steering conversion question / Bump Steer

The problem: avoid bump steer on a lowered 53 Chevy 3100 (not IFS converted)

I have a total drop of 6" on the front (3" axle drop and monoleafed). Obviously I cannot use the stock steering without some serious issues. So I am trying to work around it with converting to power steering at the same time.

In looking at the common kits available from places like Brothers and CPP which require the use of a 68-84 Chevy Saginaw steering sector. It seems to me that I can keep the basic geometry the same with a few modifications. But I am not quite sure so looking for some expert advice.

It would seem to me, provided I use a pitman arm for a dropped truck (CPP sells), that with "spacers" compensating for the rest of the drop installed at the arrows in the picture, that I should be avoiding bumpsteer. I'd considered one spacer but I assume there would be too much stress on one which was why I am contemplating one on each end of the steering link, i.e. one at the pitman arm and one at the new steering arm in the kit.

Is my reasoning correct that this should work or am I overlooking something major?

I really am NOT looking to have to convert to a Mustang II front end for a variety of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

There are two main objectives in avoiding bump steer in a parallel leaf spring front end;

1) keep the springs as nearly flat as possible. In this configuration, when they deflect, the axle moves mainly up and down. Highly arched springs tend to move the axle forward and backward when they flex which results in undesirable steering.

2) Install drag link parallel to the leaf springs with the length as close to the the length of half the spring as possible. Installed like this, the drag link will trace approximately the same arc as the flexing spring so there will be minimal differential movement.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for your reply. The monoleafs I have are pretty flat so that should be OK. Just to make sure I am on the same page as you, when you refer to making sure the drag link is parallel with the leaf spring, are you talking about the horizontal plane (i.e. duplicating pretty much the front portion of the arc of the leaf spring) or keeping it parallel with the leaf spring / chassis? Or both, which was what I was attempting to accomplish.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Parallel to the spring is the most important. If it is close, then when the spring bounces and deflects, the drag link will follow and there won't be any differential movement between the two, thus no bump steer.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

Gotcha and I appreciate the advice and help

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.