Hot Rod Forum banner

power steering from long water pump to short water pump

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
I have a '79 Monte that I'm putting a 283 into. Here's my question. I want to keep my power steering, can I use a short water pump and still keep my power steering pump? The reason I want to go with the short water pump is because the heads do not the assy holes in it. It seems there are more options for using a short water pump over the long. I think I've heard if I use a triple groove crank pulley I can still use my power steering pump. Does anyone know if that's true?

#2 ·
Both your PS and alternator would be on the same side. I'm not sure if they would interfere with each other.
You don't necessarily need the accessory hole to mount the alternator. You can make a bracket from angle iron extending from the front exhaust /header bolt.

#3 ·
No your pump will not work, neither will the other pulleys. You have encountered the biggest downfall associated with using pre 70's heads. You can fabricate a bracket of sorts that uses the front intake manifold bolt and the front exhaust bolt on the alternator side. I have never seen one commercially available but I've made them from 1/4" stock, a lot of labor and some torch work. DO those heads have hard exhaust seats? If not you will also have durability problems.

#4 ·
There is a bunch of options you can go to. Your best bet IMO is to got to someone like Vintage Air, or HotRod Air. Zoops also makes an excellent line of quality brackets. Most of the brackets have been developed for street rods which almost always use the short chevy water pump due to clearance issues. So just about all their brackets are for short pumps. Vintage and Hot Rod Air both have brackest that bolt only to the water pump and intake manifold. Theses are for the early heads, or a situation where you wish to keep the accessories in close to the engine.

Vince

#5 ·
You have several options.

Buy or make all mew brackets so your accessories stay in the original place, or use the brackets that go with the engine, 68 and earlier, and re plumb and rewire everything. Just be sure the fan sets in the shroud where it should. Good Luck.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I have zero brackets and the only pulley I have is on my power steering pump. I don't have a water pump neither. I was planing on buying new brackets and pulleys. I have not had the heads to the machine shop yet, so I'm going to get the harden seats. While I have them there, should I have them drill and tap some accessory holes? Do the holes pose any problems like leaks?

#7 ·
Drilling and tapping the heads for acc. holes does not usually work. There is not enuff meat in the front of the heads and the outer surface is not flat. I've seen it tried many times and it usually always is at best a cobble job.
To address the hardened seat problem, check out the prices before you just drop the heads off. I've been in this business for over thirty years and by the time you pay for the seats and all the other things involved(guides, valvejob, mill, seals, etc) you can buy a 350 complete engine (or even a car) and have all the brackets you need plus a better engine for your purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.