Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   power steering pulley question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/power-steering-pulley-question-156316.html)

yragat 04-06-2009 03:33 PM

power steering pulley question

Hi
I'm asking this for a friend who is having some problems----he has a sbc with PS he had a long WP set-up and is now going to a short WP because of clearance problems with a thicker radiator. he bought a swp mounting bracket for the PS pump ,but the pulleys are of about 1/4 " .What I want to know is does the swp setup require a different ps pump pulley than the lwp setup?
thanks

fast68 04-06-2009 04:52 PM

SWP and lwp had totally different pullies and also power steering brackets and pumps

he is to make a hybrid of two different styles/era of gm setups work he needs to pick one or the other style and get a complete setup together, for everything

the old swp setups had the alt on the driver side

just plain all different than lwp setups in 69-up cars and 73-up trucks

good luck

MorrisonLC 04-06-2009 07:34 PM

You can shim the PS pump forward pretty easy if you want to use the newer ones. Easier than swapping pulleys. Or fab a new bracket.

yragat 04-06-2009 07:44 PM

he bought a new bracket, but the ps pulley is out too far it needs to go back toward the engine,thats why we were wondering if with a swp if the ps pump maybe takes a different pulley-he has the old style saginaw pump and this bracket JEGS #555-60702

MorrisonLC 04-06-2009 08:02 PM

Yeah, that's a problem. I went and got a 3-groove pulley and put the PS on the outer groove so I could shim it out. I got that Jeg's bracket too and welded little tube sections to it to extend it about 1/2" from the block.

yragat 04-06-2009 10:06 PM

thats good to know--the ps pulley he has now has a double pulley and he has a triple on the crank,so I guess we could shim it out and use the inner pulley on the pump to the outer pulley on the crank.---we were trying to get the outer pulley on the pump to align with the middle,or outer on the crank.---might be neater looking if he gets a single for the pump

MorrisonLC 04-06-2009 10:31 PM

Or you could get one of those serpentine kits and make it all new, but that's pricey. I just like to stick with home-made shade-tree fab and it usually all holds together. I did make up a little tensioner device out of a turnbuckle for the PS bracket because standing out from the block the way I made it, it was too flexible and I couldn't tighten the belt good enough.

yragat 04-07-2009 08:43 AM

did U also have to put some washers between the pump and the bracket? that little bulge on the back of the pump seems to be in the way.

MorrisonLC 04-07-2009 09:09 AM

No, on my pump the bulge fits right into the cut-out area of the bracket. I wonder if you a different pump. But I imagine washers wouldn't hurt anything as long as you got long enough bolts.

yragat 04-07-2009 11:19 AM

where did you install the turnbuckle?

MorrisonLC 04-07-2009 03:34 PM

Outboard corner of that PS bracket (the Jegs one) and the other end on the motor mount. Makes a triangle and stiffens the whole thing up considerably.

yragat 04-07-2009 05:07 PM

Morrison LC,
thank you very much,you've been very helpful.
Gary :D :D :D

MorrisonLC 04-07-2009 07:48 PM

Glad someone appreciates my DIY, homemade approach (I h8 chrome)
All the best!