power steering pump. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
cutthroatkid's Avatar
two cups of tea
 
Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: st.louis mo
Posts: 934
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 19
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
power steering pump.

ok fellas so this is the deal lately I've been working on my dd its a lifted 2nd gen ram&well I had a few leaks the cad was leaking as well as the ps pump.Well I usually Always work on my own stuff this is only the 2nd time I've had anything worked on@a shop.Well I go to pick it up&the pump is squealing...I tell em they say it should go away there was some grease that got on the belt.
Well I go home&clean everything up&a couple hours later I go&looks&the pump is leaking in the same place.Then I hop in the truck to take it back to shop&ps goes out...take it back&they tell me my gear box is bad that its too sloppy,I then tell em it seems fine to me Ill adjust it when I get home&he tells me there is no adjustment.Well since I've done it before...anyways he then says I shouldn't of worked on no damn lifted truck.Calls me back next day&I pick it up&I get home pump is squealing when I turn wheels...no fluid!Maybe a tea spoons worth.Fill it up...still squealing take ot back&gets all cussing&saying he's just gonna re fund it&put the old pump back on.Then today he says couldnt find old pump...no refund put another pump back on&5 minutes later started making the same noise.
I belive they didn't swap it the last time.I put a stethascope to pump&the sound is coming from there not the box or anywhere else.Are these guys just crooks&I keep getting bad pumps?Because Ive went over&over it in my head&there's noway the steering box could be causing pumps to blow in 5 minutes or anything else&there's no metal in the pump.I'm willing to bet they didn't bleed the system.The only reason I even took it there is because I didn't have the time& hate leaks with a passion!Under carriage has to be homer dry or I don't drive!Only thing should be even close to wet is my grease fitting should be greassey&ax cons dripping

    Advertisement

Last edited by cutthroatkid; 07-17-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
LATECH's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,206
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 202
Thanked 256 Times in 238 Posts
Sounds like you have a valving problem in your box , most likely causing a hydrolock situation and stressing the pump.
Replace the box and the pump at the same time. I wouldnt go to the shop you were at.
Check around, find a competent shop.
__________________
Fact is stranger than Fiction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM
cutthroatkid's Avatar
two cups of tea
 
Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: st.louis mo
Posts: 934
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 19
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't see that being the problem seeings they said they put a new one on&didn't drive it&5 minutes later it started making noise again.The box seems fine to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM
LATECH's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,206
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 202
Thanked 256 Times in 238 Posts
Why do you think that 3 pumps failed?
Maybe the pressure line is collapsing inside and causing a blockage?
__________________
Fact is stranger than Fiction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM
cutthroatkid's Avatar
two cups of tea
 
Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: st.louis mo
Posts: 934
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 19
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
to be honest I don't think they really replaced all 3 they were being real jerks from the get go cussing about I shouldn't of worked on the mother f n truck this is some b.s. etc...ok so my first pump was leaking from the fitting where the pressure hose goes into it.For all I know it only needed tighting up my mistake for not checking..but yup it didn't make a noise@all.So they said ps pump is leaking needs replaced so I said go ahead,picked it up&as soon as I started it it was squealing so it had only moved from the bay to outside.So it dosnt seem long enough to do nothing.When I came back after all there bs they replaced it.
When I brought it back yesterday they said bad pump&all that I already said.But this is the reason I don't think they replaced it.I heard the guy tell the owner no not the first one but yeah the second one was under warranty...that seemed sketch since I payed for the one with warranty then I drove past the shop tons today truck never moved&now there saying they couldn't find other pump&the 3rd went bad.Well the agremment was to get the old one put it back on&pay me back.I think they couldn't get the old one back&just left the. bad one on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
to be honest I don't think they really replaced all 3 they were being real jerks from the get go cussing about I shouldn't of worked on the mother f n truck this is some b.s. etc...ok so my first pump was leaking from the fitting where the pressure hose goes into it.For all I know it only needed tighting up my mistake for not checking..but yup it didn't make a noise@all.So they said ps pump is leaking needs replaced so I said go ahead,picked it up&as soon as I started it it was squealing so it had only moved from the bay to outside.So it dosnt seem long enough to do nothing.When I came back after all there bs they replaced it.
When I brought it back yesterday they said bad pump&all that I already said.But this is the reason I don't think they replaced it.I heard the guy tell the owner no not the first one but yeah the second one was under warranty...that seemed sketch since I payed for the one with warranty then I drove past the shop tons today truck never moved&now there saying they couldn't find other pump&the 3rd went bad.Well the agremment was to get the old one put it back on&pay me back.I think they couldn't get the old one back&just left the. bad one on.
Did you get a refund and a pump that is at least as good or bad as the one you started out with? In other words, are you back to how you were before going there, except for your lost time and aggravation? If so, consider it a learning experience.

Have you turned the wheels from lock to lock w/the wheels off the ground to bleed the pump? If the pump is still noisy (and the noise isn't because the fluid is too low from the leak) replace the pump.

Check the high pressure hose where it connects to the pump carefully to be sure the hose, flare or the fitting isn't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM
cutthroatkid's Avatar
two cups of tea
 
Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: st.louis mo
Posts: 934
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 19
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Did you get a refund and a pump that is at least as good or bad as the one you started out with? In other words, are you back to how you were before going there, except for your lost time and aggravation? If so, consider it a learning experience.

Have you turned the wheels from lock to lock w/the wheels off the ground to bleed the pump? If the pump is still noisy (and the noise isn't because the fluid is too low from the leak) replace the pump.

Check the high pressure hose where it connects to the pump carefully to be sure the hose, flare or the fitting isn't bad.
nope they won't give me my money back,&there's a worse pump on there then I had before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
nope they won't give me my money back,&there's a worse pump on there then I had before.
How many of them? JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
power steering pump for sbc with MustangII power rac TheCiscoKid Suspension - Brakes - Steering 5 12-29-2012 05:39 PM
Power steering pump vito Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 11-24-2011 04:42 PM
power steering pump as a secondary oil pump? lowROLLERchevy Engine 17 06-04-2007 03:02 PM
power steering pump impala dreaming Suspension - Brakes - Steering 3 02-15-2003 05:00 PM
Power Steering Pump I.D. jalopy45 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 03-30-2002 03:53 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.