Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Power steering pump on blown motor (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/power-steering-pump-blown-motor-138541.html)

Marcus 05-11-2008 05:42 PM

Power steering pump on blown motor

Got a real problem thats got me stumped...I can't seem to align my power steering pump pulley with the 2 groove crank pulley. I'm using a B&M 250 on a sbc that requires me to use a 2 groove pulley...the alternator lines up perfectly with the inside crank pulley groove but my power steering pump pulley is about an inch off. I ordered a inset one groove pulley from March that would bring the pulley in as close to the power steering pump body to line up with the outside crank groove but it's still not even close. Not sure what to do...I definitely want power steering...are there any other GM pumps that have shorter snouts. I was thinking Corvette pumps...help!

darkostoj 05-11-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus
Got a real problem thats got me stumped...I can't seem to align my power steering pump pulley with the 2 groove crank pulley. I'm using a B&M 250 on a sbc that requires me to use a 2 groove pulley...the alternator lines up perfectly with the inside crank pulley groove but my power steering pump pulley is about an inch off. I ordered a inset one groove pulley from March that would bring the pulley in as close to the power steering pump body to line up with the outside crank groove but it's still not even close. Not sure what to do...I definitely want power steering...are there any other GM pumps that have shorter snouts. I was thinking Corvette pumps...help!

WOW! I came here to post the EXACT SAME THING! haha

anyway here is how everything looks right now and you can see the power steering pump pulley doesnt line up with the outer groove on the supplied v-groove pulley that came with my weiand 671 kit. No problems lining up the alt. belt with the inside groove though.

in case it matters this is on a 67 camaro
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...j/CIMG1421.jpg

Marcus 05-11-2008 06:46 PM

Your's is closer than mine I think you can use an inset pulley like the one I ordered and it might work or you can use a double pulley on the power steering pulley...the problem sucks though and can't believe this issue hasn't been addressed by B&M or Wiend etc.

darkostoj 05-11-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Your's is closer than mine I think you can use an inset pulley like the one I ordered and it might work or you can use a double pulley on the power steering pulley...the problem sucks though and can't believe this issue hasn't been addressed by B&M or Wiend etc.

what kind of brackets are you using? I'm using brackets off a 67-68 camaro with a 302/350...they also work with a 8" balancer that I have.

These are the similar brackets here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...spagenameZWDVW

where did you get your inset pulley?

from what i gathered there was another crank pulley that bolted onto the stock 2groove crank pulley and thats what the p/s used...but its impossible to use that peice since the blower pulley is there. With the 3 grooves at the crank the one nearest the motor was for the alt, the next for a/c, and the 3rd for p/s

68NovaSS 05-11-2008 07:06 PM

I found a nice bracket from Zoop's that is adjustable, worked great.

darkostoj 05-11-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I found a nice bracket from Zoop's that is adjustable, worked great.

do you have a part # or any idea on where we could find it? Any pictures or info on your setup? Is this the part you have? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...?part=ZOP-8008

If this bracket allows the factory p/s pump to be ran on the 2nd pulley i'll order it asap...Any info would help because this is getting real frustrating!

Marcus 05-11-2008 07:45 PM

I used a bracket I got from Speedwaymotors.com...very simple and works but unfortunately doesn't really solve my problem. The pulley is from March and is part # 512 with the furthest setback. I can't imagine any bracket being able to allow the pulley to line up. Think I'm going to have to go with an entirely different pump style maybe one of those with a remote reservoir.

darkostoj 05-11-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

I used a bracket I got from Speedwaymotors.com...very simple and works but unfortunately doesn't really solve my problem. The pulley is from March and is part # 512 with the furthest setback. I can't imagine any bracket being able to allow the pulley to line up. Think I'm going to have to go with an entirely different pump style maybe one of those with a remote reservoir.

do you know how much its offset? I measured and I need a 7/8" offset to have mine line up with the pulley groove.

Marcus 05-11-2008 09:10 PM

Go to their website and they have exact measurements. I think I'm going with a GM type 2 power steering pump used from 1980 up.

Kilrcady 05-13-2008 06:11 PM

I had the same problem with my bbc

I used a two grove pulley on my pump and the inner groove lined right up.The pulley has a deep offset.I had to make my own alt bracket for pass side alt with a short water pump.I didn't want to pay for billet or crazyhiem joints.just a simple bracket.Made my own. :drool:

darkostoj 05-13-2008 07:19 PM

well guys i got it figured out and it is pretty slick, ended up costing me close to $200 though but I get to use my stock pump. I ordered the zoops adjustable power steering bracket (#8008)and march #512 offset p/s pulley. I had to cut the end off the p/s pump mount so it would clear the alt belt, but other then that everything looks good. I will get pics if some people want to see the finished product.

frank88chevy 05-14-2008 02:45 AM

After spending good $$$$ at MARCH & ZOOPS for your excat problem I ended up with belt squeal no matter how much adjustment was made for pulley aliment. hope you have better luck. went type 2 pump remote res.

Marcus 05-15-2008 12:51 AM

I just bought a type 2 pump, ordered a $29 purple anodized bracket, and complete braided hose/AN fittings kit ($100) from Summit. All in all about $200 worth. What a hassle...could have spent that money on more exciting things than the stupid power steering. There is no way I could have made that stock pump work with my blower setup even with a double groove or off set pulley.

darkostoj 05-15-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

I just bought a type 2 pump, ordered a $29 purple anodized bracket, and complete braided hose/AN fittings kit ($100) from Summit. All in all about $200 worth. What a hassle...could have spent that money on more exciting things than the stupid power steering. There is no way I could have made that stock pump work with my blower setup even with a double groove or off set pulley.

i spent about $200 and am still using the stock pump. Got a zoops ps bracket but ended up cutting and modding the hell out of it and a march offset pulley.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...j/CIMG1424.jpg

Marcus 05-16-2008 01:10 AM

That looks great...I'm glad you succeeded in using the stock pump. Not sure if I have as much room as you do otherwise I would have done the same...$200 is a little steep but I know they are expensive and look cool. I just hope I'm doing the right thing by converting to a newer style pump...I don't think I'm gaining anything functionally though, maybe a little lighter. Anyway, great job.