Power steering pump Failure? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Power steering pump Failure?

I was running my car pretty hard the other night (74' Monte Carlo, Turbocharged) I wasn't turning a huge amount of RPM's or anything and when I got home, I stopped in the alley opened my garage and drove it in. The second I shut the car off I hear this sound like somebody's peeing on the floor.

I popped the hood and the inside of the power steering pulley is wet and there is fluid running out onto the garage floor. I walked outside and just where it sat running for a minute or so while I opened the garage was dry! The steering never acted funny or made any noise either. Just emptied itself of fluid the minute I shut off the engine. What gives?

Has anyone else just had a major dump of fluid out of the pump like this? could it be much more than just a blown seal? I am going to purchase a rebuild kit and tackle it myself. But I have never seen a leak like this before ever from a GM steering pump.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 08:46 AM
GROUND POUNDER

Last photo:

i dont think it could be much more than a blown seal. that sounds about right to me. but i am no expert. i would go ahead with what you said with the repair kit. good luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 AM

Yup, A little more than a blown seal....

I pulled the pump and the pulley and noticed the shaft had about .015"-.030" axial play in the shaft. Killed the seal. I took the pump apart and went to the auto parts store. They didnt sell a rebuilt kit at my local NAPA or they were too lazy to look it up.

The store offered the pump or the pump with resivoir. I bought the pump only and with core returned it was $37.00

I put it together last night and one of the mounting points was not the same as the original and I had to make a spacer to get the belts to line up correctly.

Never is anything a direct bolt on anymore it seems.

The bushing or bearing was toast, bad. If I would have just put a new seal in it would have gone bad very quickly.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.