Hot Rod Forum banner

Power steering pump pulley purportedly multipurpose?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  wickedwitchinak 
#1 ·
Is it a problem to presume that people who peddle power steering pulleys are proficient in their preferred profession, particularly when proclaiming that press-fit pulleys and their more prolific counterparts are perfectly interchangeable? In short, some guy on Ebay mentioned that the keyway style pulley he is selling can be pressed onto a non-keyway style pump without issue. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Megan

#2 ·
I think he is wrong, wrong, wrong.
The keyed pulleys are tapered and are not really "press fit" but a "taper fit"
The pulleys that press on are just that--"press fit"--they are press to the shaft and you are ready to roll
The keyed pulleys are secured with a nut on the end of the shaft.

Bryan

#3 ·
That is what I thought, but I wasn't sure. So a second question, where oh where can I find a press fit one? I swear I've googled every possible synonym for and combination of "press power steering pulley" to no avail. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I have not seen these in the aftermarket--(not saying they are not there).

Check your local Chevrolet store or a salvage yard---mid 70's to late 80's I think---and old pickup would be a good donor-

I don't know if there are single groove out there--the two groove acts kind of like an idler for the ALT or AC (depending what you have hanging on the left side)

Bryan

#6 ·
wickedwitchinak said:
Is it a problem to presume that people who peddle power steering pulleys are proficient in their preferred profession, particularly when proclaiming that press-fit pulleys and their more prolific counterparts are perfectly interchangeable?
That is very alliterative!

I had a similar problem and got a pulley for an 87 Chevy pickup, it is press fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.