Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Power steering pump pulley SBC (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/power-steering-pump-pulley-sbc-230335.html)

383SBC 03-04-2013 11:57 PM

Power steering pump pulley SBC

Just ordered up a nice aluminum power steering pump pulley for my SBC. The pulley I ordered is a keyway fit on the shaft. The pump I have is a press fit pulley by the looks of it since I cant see a key and because when i attempted to remove the old pulley it was on the shaft so tight that it bent the pulley. I am going to replace the power steering pump but need a pump now to match my new pulley and still bolt up with the exsisting bracket. The old pump is off a 1980 Camaro. My question is which power steering pumps were made with a keyway on the shaft? I will need to order one of these pumps as long as it will bolt up and maintain the proper belt alignment.

Thanks,
Keith

DoubleVision 03-05-2013 12:02 AM

To be honest with you, I've played with quite a few GM power steering pumps and I've never seen one that used a keyway. All I ever seen were press fit. That's not to say GM didn't make any, just saying I've never seen one.

75gmck25 03-05-2013 04:38 AM

When I've looked at the junkyard, the pulleys from the 70's and early 80's have always been press fit, and they are tough to get off. Even with the right puller I have bent the pulley trying to take it off.

The pulley that fits the pump is probably a GM 354325 AC, 5 3/4" pulley, which can be replaced by a Dorman equivalent (300-121). Maybe you can just get the aluminum version.

Bruce

383SBC 03-06-2013 01:01 AM

Problem is I need a new pump that will fit the pulley I bought.......... the old pump is garbage. Its a $40 aluminum pulley just not sure what pump to order

S10 Racer 03-06-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 383SBC (Post 1653624)
Just ordered up a nice aluminum power steering pump pulley for my SBC. The pulley I ordered is a keyway fit on the shaft. The pump I have is a press fit pulley by the looks of it since I cant see a key and because when i attempted to remove the old pulley it was on the shaft so tight that it bent the pulley. I am going to replace the power steering pump but need a pump now to match my new pulley and still bolt up with the exsisting bracket. The old pump is off a 1980 Camaro. My question is which power steering pumps were made with a keyway on the shaft? I will need to order one of these pumps as long as it will bolt up and maintain the proper belt alignment.

Thanks,
Keith

Does the new pulley have the same shaft size as the pump? The reason I ask is if the pulley bore is smaller than the pump shaft, you can bore the hole in the pulley so it is .001 - .002 smaller than the shaft, heat the pulley in the oven and install it on the pump shaft. If this is possible, you don't need a keyway. Just a thought....

46streetrod 03-06-2013 07:54 PM

The key way type pump is pre 1977 I believe .You can get these from you local parts house. Just ask for one for a 1970 chevelle or impala they are all the same or tuff stuff makes these in chrome.

sunsetdart 03-07-2013 06:48 AM

It's a Saginaw pump which GM and others used. I have one on my Mopar. The pumps come in both press on and key-way. Just ask you local parts house and they should ask you if you want press or key.