Power Steering Questions - HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power Steering Questions - HELP

My project is a BBC in an "89" S10. I am getting really close to finishing it up for the drag strip in March 09. The front end is stock with the power steering box still installed. I am seriuosly thinking about putting a pump on and having power steering. I know it will rob some power but I want it to steer easily. My question is, can I install an aftermarket racing pump using the stock steering box or would you recommend a stock pump? I like the look of the aftermarkets with remote resevoirs but I was not sure if the stock steering box would hold up to those or not. Any input?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Power Steering Questions - HELP

why ? you just going straight , right ?
you got the rear locked up ? it'll hop you around .
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 AM

Last photo:

If that's the best answer I can get here, I'll have to ask somewhere else that can actually help me. Don't bother.
Thanks anyway.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
If that's the best answer I can get here, I'll have to ask somewhere else that can actually help me. Don't bother.
Thanks anyway.
you sound like the guy i know , always trying to lighten the load for the track , running 4 quarts of oil instead of 5 , scrapping off all the tar and under coating , sand off all paint and apply only one coat of paint to lighten up the car ,but then he's at the food stand gobbling down three cheese burgers and 5 sodas before the race .

if it's a street truck , put a pump of your budget on it , any will do .
but get rid the box and go with a rack steering kit for best .
Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt olds
you sound like the guy i know , always trying to lighten the load for the track , running 4 quarts of oil instead of 5 , scrapping off all the tar and under coating , sand off all paint and apply only one coat of paint to lighten up the car ,but then he's at the food stand gobbling down three cheese burgers and 5 sodas before the race .

if it's a street truck , put a pump of your budget on it , any will do .
but get rid the box and go with a rack steering kit for best .

Nope, you surely don't know me. It pisses me off that someone ask's a simple question on here and then someone has to step in and start making smart remarks (like you). It is not a street truck and I don't have the money to put rack & pinion steering on it. That's the whole reason why this is called "Hotrodders" isn't it. Some people don't have the money to pay to have things done or to buy the best of everything, we do what our wallet will let us do. I appreciate your suggestion in the last part of your reply but everything before that is un-called-for.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Any of the aftermarket pumps as well as the gm cavalier style pumps will work.If the pump does not put out enough pressure to let it turn easily you can change the spring behind the relief piston in the pump to a stiffer one from a heavier vehicle to bump the pressure. It is located behind the fitting for the high pressure line and just screws out.By the way I weighed the power steering box from my malibu and a manual s10 one it saved me maybe 10 lbs.Probably should have stayed power and went on a diet instead. My motto is build more power then the weight won't matter as much. Hope this helps ya out.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
Any of the aftermarket pumps as well as the gm cavalier style pumps will work.If the pump does not put out enough pressure to let it turn easily you can change the spring behind the relief piston in the pump to a stiffer one from a heavier vehicle to bump the pressure. It is located behind the fitting for the high pressure line and just screws out.By the way I weighed the power steering box from my malibu and a manual s10 one it saved me maybe 10 lbs.Probably should have stayed power and went on a diet instead. My motto is build more power then the weight won't matter as much. Hope this helps ya out.

Thank you Barnym17. That is the kind of help I was looking for.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:23 AM

Last photo:

Yep. the Cavalier pumps are remote reservoir style.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.