Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - power steering rack in a 34 ford frame
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbcc2
hmmm.. cross steering still has bumpsteer as you say..but a panhard only prevents side movement of the axle which does prevent steering direction change ,but,not the up and down of the suspension travel...which I think will still allow bumpsteer because the short tierod or the longer cross steering rod on a vega box do not pivot at the same point as the axle which is the center of the spring therfore still allowing tire direction change..again I agree with you its simply geometry.
The pivot points of a standard panhard bar and drag link as installed on a car with cross steer are so close to each other that the arcs they swing in are almost concentric. Panhard( or "track bars) were offered in the ford catalogs to counteract bump steer by keeping the axle in lateral alignment with the frame mounted steering box. Much of the bumpsteer actually came from the shackles swinging around and not the linkage arcs created by suspension movement.

Like I said, if you don't have much suspension travel, your system might be drivable. Your definition of "drivable" may change when you get it on the road.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example