Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - power steering rack in a 34 ford frame
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 PM

Last journal entry: frankenstude too
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well then i guess i am installing a panhard mounted from a point aligned with the center of the spring to as close as possible to the steering arm/tierod connection...this should swing the same arc as the axle in its suspensional movement. this will eliminate the shackle side to side travel. as far as the "bump steer..your right we will see how far off the tie rod arcs are compared to the axles..
On the vega box though..this panhard that is close to the same arc as the drag link..makes sense...little arc differance equals little change in push/pull on the steering arm ...but what about the shorter arm from the pitman arm to the other steering arm?..that arc must be decisively different than the axles..there must be tremendous conflict going on in that system..a panhard holding same arc as the draglink , but the draglink is connected to a steering arm that is connected to a shorter arm that has a very different arc than the axles.ones trying to change and the other is trying to not change.
Also I was thinking that this radical tire direction changing (from the front axle travel) is only going to occur when the suspesion is going from one extreme to the other. How often is this going to happen?...driving over a washboard surface for sure....I am thinking that for normal driving with the suspension moving slightly or floating it will be fine. A torsion bar added to the front and back will only help too...thanks for the input guys..every little bit helps..

Last edited by ajbcc2; 08-17-2009 at 11:00 AM.