power steering sector adjustment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

power steering sector adjustment

what is the correct proceedure for adjusting the sector ( power steering) for a '85 Chrys 5th Ave ? I know you can't just crank down the set screw to 'zero' freeplay, I think there's more too it. Something about the power steering pressure involved, I think the adjustment may a little different ?????? Mine is set for close too zero freeplay, but runnung , it seems almost too stiff???????????thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Steering box.

I have just been through what you are talking about on a 67 Mustang coupe . I dont know what your box looks like but if its similar to a 67 then the following "StangerSite . com" 2008 was exactly what i was looking for. The box had a worm and sector shaft with the adjustment carefully set to a specified torque before you tighten down the lock nut on the adjusting screw. The screw on the Mustang box lifts the sector shaft up or pushes it down depending on which way you turn it. Mine was done out of the car on the bench with everything disconnected. If the steering is too stiff in the Mustang box the info. tells me the sector shaft and worm will be scored. (metal to metal draqgging)
Cheers.
P.s. Google came up with plenty of info. in my case. Maybe you will be lucky.
Cheers.
Al.

Last edited by 67Mustang Al.; 07-23-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

on most boxes if it needs this adsjustment then the box is worn past is life time and it is not recommended to do this to them, especially if there is server slop over around a 1/8 or 1/6 steering wheel turn on a power box anyways

if you turn the screw down too far then the steering will get stuck in the center position

you should try to locate a betetr condition box rather than trying to adjust the wear out of the one you have

for safety sake

but not everyone will agree or understand

good luck!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

guess I kinda knew that in the back of my mind, kinda hoping for 'easy fix' ! Going to be hard to find ... a good sector for '85 ????????? Maybe they used them for a lot of years ? Problem is , I built this car (customized '48 Dodge ) from the ground up , was a lot working room near the sector, til I put the motor in and fenders on !!!!......thanks.....Do you guys know how mant years Chrysler used the same sector ?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Finding sector shaft

Well the steering box in the 67 mustang has one long steering shaft which makes removal out through the firewall extremely difficult with the motor in so i know what you are saying. Bugga.!!!!
I am not familiar with the chrysler stuff, maybe Fast 68 will know, or try and google "Chrysler steering box" on the search page and see what you get.
Maybe easier to buy a reconditioned box as some are saying once the clearances become too great between the sector and worm it is time to throw it as new parts would be similar to the price of a new or reco. box.?????Cheers good luck
Al.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.