Power-Trax no slip system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2002, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Power-Trax no slip system

Hi. I'm looking to put a Power-trax system in my r73 Elky rear end. Anybody have any information on these systems? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I've installed a couple of these units and to date, they have worked well. It's a snap to install them, they just replace your spider gears in the diff, just follow the simple instructions. These things give you a positive lock on both rear wheels under hard acceleration, they do clank, or click when you turn corners however.A good product that works and is affordable.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:29 AM

Last photo:

Talking

I'll second that! great bit of kit & easy to install, if you search on the net powertrax.com there's plenty of info & step by step intallations by some private webs with good results.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:52 AM

Smile

Thanks for the reply! I have another question, posed by my son. If a higher stall torque converter is installed, what happens to your ability to "creep" down the road at low RPM, quietly? We live in a town where the least hi revs or exhaust noise immeadiately draws the attention of the laws. So do you have to increase the RPMs/ noise level, and ride the brakes to keep your car moving from street light to street light? His concern is being stopped frequently for this. I wasn't sure how to answer him.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You will have to rev the car more to get it to move, the more stall speed the worse it will be. If you are light on the throttle, it will move a little, it's not like the converter won't work at all until it's approx stall speed, but the looser it is, the worse it will be. I had a 383 chevelle with a powerglide, 4.56s, and 4500 stall speed, and believe me, you could here the engine when you cruised away. Go to the drags, and watch cars cruise down the return lane, that will give you an idea.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:07 AM

I had a 3000 stall in my 68 with small block 350 and as long as you were light on the gas you didnt know it was there if you are looking for street and strip theres no need for any thing over 2500-3000 stall!!
Old 09-17-2002, 02:22 PM

I use a 2000 stall behind my 383. It engages immediately when put into gear and and it will idle coasting as with any transmission/converter. However it will flash up to a higher rpm without engaging fully so that if the brake pedal is held down and you wind it up, it does not fully engage full power until 2000 rpm. So in this case it is not difficult to drive. If your stall speed is above normaly highway drive speed, then the converter slips. This isn't good because it generates heat and causes problems with transmission over-heating. So if you have a car which is going to be driven primarily on the street, you want just enough stall to utilize the cam shaft characteristics. If you just want to race the car, then a high stall converter would give the most powerful launches because the starting point sill deliver immediate torque multiplication to the drive line.

You have to think of the cam, intake, timing and stall speed as joint contributors to driveability. A car with a big cam and no stall elevation is going to be lugged down and will not get moving. Generally, it is a poor idea to over-cam a street car for this reason.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:27 PM

Oh yes....the Powertrax No Slip is a good product. I get a little chirp from the inside tire on a street corner if I apply too much gas or take the corner too tight. But it greatly improved the driveability of my F-1 pickup because I do not slip one tire all the time which was the case before....I could hardly back up a hill in my own driveway without it. It is very well designed and has very few wearable parts. It physically uncouples and does not have slip plates to wear out. If you are going to buy one, call the company directly and you can order it for $275 from the factory (see their website). Don't go through a distributor.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:07 AM

Thank you for all the help! This is a 73 Elky,SB 350, stock 8. pistons, stock alum. Weiland manifold, Isky mega cam-270dur. 465 lift, big valve heads,TH400 and stock exhaust (for now), headers soon.
I'm thinking a B&M "Traveler",900-2100 stall. My son wants it "zippy", but I'd like for him to pass a FEW gas stations at least!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.