power=voltsXresistence - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003, 01:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

power=voltsXresistence

I was thinking about how alternators work i mean a average 12 volt alternator has to power, gages, sparkplugs, fans, etc...etc.... so i was thinking 12 volts isnt enough is there a company out there that makes a 42 volt alternator i know about semiconductor and i know how to work with them. ok if you dont know why i want to do that think about it it takes 8.33 amps to make 100watts with 12 volts but with 42 volts it will only take 2.38amps

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 02:00 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

I understand the idea the aircraft industry has used that principle for years. Here is the problem, you may start out with 42 volts but in order to get any 12 volt items to work that means a voltage divider or regulator circuit. Thus you not only loose the advantage of the higher voltage but now you have put more demand on the system for regulators etc. There is also a heat issue, dropping 36 volts across a device is a huge amount.

Finding 42 volt car stereos, fuel pumps, ignition devices, headlights etc. is going to be a bit of trouble too. Remember there is no free ride when it comes to ohms law, your going to pay for it somewhere in the system.

Regards
Mark
Old 07-26-2003, 02:02 PM

yea i know but i mean you could adapt it by swapping out ressistors in the system themselves i dont know this is only a theory i'm trying to figure everthing out
Old 07-27-2003, 12:29 AM

go for it

DMN,

You can do it yourself. There is a voltage regulator built into your alternator, just replace it with a 42 volt regulator. Then, you can install another regulator outside the alternator to 12 volts. It sounds like an awful amount of work to have the same output that you started with. Electric generators are available up to 18,000 volts, or something like that. A 42 volt generator with 90 amp output is going to be much larger than your stock alternator. It will take special mounting steps and custom work. Then, a large voltage regulator will need to be installed to cut the output to 12 volts. Your problem is going to be in containing the additional amps. The additional amps cannot be absorbed by a single battery. It will overheat and explode. You will have to add up to 5 more 12 volt batteries to absorb the additional output. Even then, if there is not a whol lot of draw on them it will greatly reduce their life if they are constantly being charged with little draw. This type of setup would be feasible for a custom stereo installation with 1,000 - 2,000 amp draw that was always on. It might also be feasible for a motorhome (with refrigerator) in keeping appliances running. If this is something that you really want to follow through with, you may want to contact a couple of motorhome manufacturers to see if they have researched such a device. Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:44 AM

i know about the batteries i just need 4 and run them parellel this is only a theory i havent worked everything out yet

HEY TOYOTA HAS A 42Volt alt in there royal crown royal saloon so its not imposible

Last edited by D M N; 07-27-2003 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:22 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
i know about the batteries i just need 4 and run them parellel this is only a theory i havent worked everything out yet
Wrong! Parellel batteries will only give you 12 volts but a huge amount of current, Series Batteries will give you 42 volts but only as much current as the weakest battery can produce.

Regards
Mark
Old 07-27-2003, 06:23 PM

???? i have to check that
Old 08-04-2003, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

DMN, Dude, I suggest you give this some more thought. It isn't voltage that is the problem it is usually a lack of current. I am not a Electrical Engineer but I have worked it the electronics industry for 30+ years as a technician. By the way, the alternator does not power the spark plugs. Jag is correct about the batteries. A high output Alternator and two good batteries hooked in parallel should do most anything your basic hotrodder would want.
Good luck,
Vern
Old 08-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Canknuckle Head

Voltage is a function of V=IR, v = voltage, i = current . r = resistance. Ohms law.

Most heavy duty stuffs run 24vdc, but that's because a harness can wrap around the vehicle twice, as there is no spliced harnesses like in a car.

Yes you can get more "power" ie watts through higher voltage and lower current. Same principal as running AC in our power lines versus DC, low line loss. 4160v coming off a 6 generators at 350 - 450 Mw apiece. is 4.1kv is almost infinite current. Seeings how I work at a power plant I can vouch for this. In theory this sounds pretty good so far. BUT, (you knew it was coming) industry don't work that way.

For example cars started out at 6 volt systems, now 12, but look at the changeover involved in that, regulators, wires, lights, etc.

Now throw in computer controls and chipsets rated for 12vdc with a maximum tolerance of up to 15.5 / 16 volts. How do you change a modern industry that drastically? similar to the principal of running alternative fuels, the big oil producers don't like it, well the chip makers (motorola, intel) are in the same boat.

And more step down transformers means more material plus power lost to resistance / heat.

it's a conspiracy

Not really just cost driven
Hollywooding
Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 PM

HEY DMN: We do work for Delphi who manufacture alternators for General Motors. They are test a 48 volt system that will be in all new GM cars and trucks very shortly.....DAVE
Old 08-06-2003, 09:37 PM

really??? that is awsome but that will be a biatch to retro fit into an older car owell i'll just attach one and what ever catches on fire i will replace it
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Canknuckle Head

Dude?

You can't be serious, WTF, now Im all gibbled.

are you actually serious or not.?

Hollywooding
Old 08-07-2003, 10:22 AM

yea its not worth it i was just kidding 48 volt alternator man does cars are going to be crazy man
Old 08-07-2003, 06:17 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

By the way just noticing the title of this thread is incorrect.

POWER=VOLTAGE x CURRENT is the correct mathmatical formula also known as PIE (P=IxE).
P=Power
I=Current
E=Voltage
Ohms Law is Voltage=Current x Resistance or E=IxR

Old 08-07-2003, 06:19 PM

wait power=watts
volts= ohh man i didnt notice that thanks man

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.