Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Power washing engine? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/power-washing-engine-195566.html)

dirty dixon 04-01-2011 08:48 AM

Power washing engine?

I have a SB 350, that my dad and I will be rebuilding.

I plan to have the block tested prior to the rebuild.
this will be my first time tacking major engine work.

My noob question is
when we pull the engine to power wash it what precautions should I be aware of?
what lines should I be concerned with taping off?
should it be disassembled down to the bare block first?
What should I put on it after it is washed (oil?, wd40?)

thanks for your input.

oldbogie 04-01-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty dixon
I have a SB 350, that my dad and I will be rebuilding.

I plan to have the block tested prior to the rebuild.
this will be my first time tacking major engine work.

My noob question is
when we pull the engine to power wash it what precautions should I be aware of?
what lines should I be concerned with taping off?
should it be disassembled down to the bare block first?
What should I put on it after it is washed (oil?, wd40?)

thanks for your input.

If the engine is to be rebuilt which requires extensive machining, all you need to do is take it apart, if that. Have the shop doing the machining also clean it. They have the tools, materials, processes and legal controls to do this in conformance with their's and the legal requirements for disposal of of the gunk and the cleaning materials. Plus they will do this to meet their pre-machining cleanliness needs which may affect any warranty by them regarding their work. The charge is small for this and well worth it.

Bogie

dirty dixon 04-01-2011 10:13 AM

thanks. good call.
I have read that some shops offer a discount if the block is cleaned up first.
I though that may help me save a few bucks, since I currently have access to a powerwasher. But maybe it's best left to the machine shop.

poncho62 04-01-2011 10:22 AM

Machine shops have a hot tank.....which has hot water with a caustic solution to clean blocks etc.....It gets right into every crevice of the block.....You could only basically clean the outside with a power washer....and not nearly as well....Let them do it

schovil69 04-01-2011 12:30 PM

Any reputable machine shop will hot tank the parts prior to doing any work, even if you clean it up yourself before dropping it off.

richard stewart 3rd 04-01-2011 02:41 PM

Hi
Some shops will charge to dismantle the engine, call & ask if it would be cheaper if you took the engine apart. I take all mine apart just because I want to see first hand whats what.
Rich

timothale 04-01-2011 03:38 PM

power wash

I've got a 3500 psi washer we use to keep the Farm and Construction equipment clean, We usually clean every thing we can before taking it in, I cleaned the backhoe engine, in the tractor first , ran it a little to check for oil leaks actually to see where it was leaking before pulling it, then took it in since I did not have the special tools needed. We do the Cleaning and inspection, then stamp all the parts before taking them in. I don't want a crank that has been welded exchanged for mine that just might need a polish. The shops either hot tank , or use the "Dish Washer" style cleaner as part of their process.