Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Power window motor for shaved door open?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
1950 Chevy Pickup custom!

Last journal entry: Dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power window motor for shaved door open?

Currently I have a standard 40 lb solenoid setup for opening my shaved doors on a 1950 chevrolet pickup. The problem or problems I keep running into are that the solenoids are not water proof or water resistant for that matter and I burn them up everytime I wash the truck and a drop or two of water gets in the door. The other issue I have is space. The door is quite narrow so I cannot place the solenoid in a position to directly operate the latch so I made a simple lever system to connect the solenoid to the latch.

So, my idea is to use a power window motor with a pulley around it and a cable to the latch. I am trying to figure out how to wire it to wind one way when the 2 seconds of power is applied when I press the remote button, then wind back the other way when the power is stopped to allow the latch to close. I know there must be a way to do this using a couple relays or if anyone has an idea I am open to suggestions at this point!

I couldn't think of a better place to ask this question than here. You guys have always come through for me! Thanks in advance for any ideas and help!