Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Power window motor for shaved door open?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo56 View Post
The best solenoids to use are from a VW Beetle...good old Bosch are the best. If you are using one of the one's sold by The Hoffman Group (Autoloc) they are junk... but you already know that. You can buy them at NAPA or on-line...

1972 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE Starter Solenoid
Great tip !! Starter solenoids are expected to get wet so they should last longer.

I was researching shaved doors and for a while have been debating the solenoid issue. I looked at your link and used the VW as a reference. The local shops (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Advanced Auto) all carry the replacements like Duralast, Wells, etc. and you can also get them on eBay for around $30

Starter Solenoid Alfa Romeo Audi BMW Landrover Mitsubishi Volkswagen Volvo | eBay

I found an original Bosch 12v part #31072 for $37

VW Starter Solenoid - Bosch 31072 | FCP Euro

I'm thinking if the Bosch is way better then $14 extra for both doors isn't a problem but if they do the same thing why waste that extra money?

My other question is how many amps does that solenoid need to open the door so I know how big of fuse to use? I figure for a starter it needs a big wire size but since opening a door is less than a second it shouldn't need that much. What wire size should I use?

Thanks in advance.