Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   Power window motor for shaved door open? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/power-window-motor-shaved-door-open-221252.html)

artillerystevens 07-02-2012 09:51 PM

Power window motor for shaved door open?

Currently I have a standard 40 lb solenoid setup for opening my shaved doors on a 1950 chevrolet pickup. The problem or problems I keep running into are that the solenoids are not water proof or water resistant for that matter and I burn them up everytime I wash the truck and a drop or two of water gets in the door. The other issue I have is space. The door is quite narrow so I cannot place the solenoid in a position to directly operate the latch so I made a simple lever system to connect the solenoid to the latch.

So, my idea is to use a power window motor with a pulley around it and a cable to the latch. I am trying to figure out how to wire it to wind one way when the 2 seconds of power is applied when I press the remote button, then wind back the other way when the power is stopped to allow the latch to close. I know there must be a way to do this using a couple relays or if anyone has an idea I am open to suggestions at this point!

I couldn't think of a better place to ask this question than here. You guys have always come through for me! Thanks in advance for any ideas and help!

bentwings 07-03-2012 02:38 AM

I have 60# solenoids and still have problems as you do. I have rigged a small umbrella made of plastic to shield the top of the solenoid. It works most of the time. I also took the solenoids apart and drilled holes inthe lower plastic base so the water drains out and it is vented. This helped some more.

However the whole system is unreliable at best. It is so bad that I have to leave the window down enough so I can get my arm in to release the door if the FOB doesn't work. I finally do have a mechanical release. But why do I have to have this???? my truck has electric locks and they have not failed in 13 yr and 270k miles.

Frankly I'll never do shaved doors again. After all how many production cars have shaved doors??? It will be far better to mold a nice door handle into the door. I have very thin doors too but I'd go to the effort to cut a small opening and glass in a mount for the opening rods.

I now have only one FOB that works and I'm told I need to buy a whole new system to get new style FOBS as mine are obsolete. They are only 5 yr old and now obsolete???? give me a break. I can still get new /FOBs for my 13 yr old truck and from Dodge no less. Aftermarket needs to make stuff for us that use their products for more than occasional use show cars.

EOD Guy 07-03-2012 03:52 AM

I've had pretty good luck with the "Plastic Dip"...... the stuff you dip pliers and screwdrivers into, to put a rubber coating on the handles. Wire it up with connectors on the wires with enough wire to allow you to dip the whole thing in the plastic dip ......one or two dips puts a nice thin coating on it and after it dries you can use a razor to allow the solenoid rod to move in and out but still have a seal...... well sort of.

ogre 07-03-2012 12:41 PM

the doors on my 58 truck are similar to yours
the glass is so close to the inner skin that it is hard to get them inside the glass
i mounted my 40# solenoids on the inside of the door
and made the door panel arm rests to cover them

my power windows are from an 06 dodge durango front doors
they cost me nothing, but i had to cover the motor with the door panel too

i'd do it again, i like the shaved door handles
i bought a galaxy alarm system and use the fob and alarm outputs to open the doors
i have the drivers door set up with the un-lock button
the pass door set up with the trunk button
the trunk (yes, my truk has a trunk) set up with the shift+trunk button
and the tonneou cover set up with the shift+remote start button
everything works as it should, except the drivers door doesn't pop open enough sometimes
then i have to stick a finger in and pop the door again, a minor inconvenience :D

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_2252.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...0518011810.jpg

Mojo56 07-03-2012 01:09 PM

The best solenoids to use are from a VW Beetle...good old Bosch are the best. If you are using one of the one's sold by The Hoffman Group (Autoloc) they are junk... but you already know that. You can buy them at NAPA or on-line...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4188

artillerystevens 07-03-2012 04:10 PM

Ogre, I like what you did there. I will have a similar arm rest setup in my pickup. I should have done that to begin with! However I think I will be using the solenoids recommended by Mojo! Thanks guys!

PRHeloPilot 11-11-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo56 (Post 1570598)
The best solenoids to use are from a VW Beetle...good old Bosch are the best. If you are using one of the one's sold by The Hoffman Group (Autoloc) they are junk... but you already know that. You can buy them at NAPA or on-line...

1972 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE Starter Solenoid

Great tip !! Starter solenoids are expected to get wet so they should last longer.

I was researching shaved doors and for a while have been debating the solenoid issue. I looked at your link and used the VW as a reference. The local shops (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Advanced Auto) all carry the replacements like Duralast, Wells, etc. and you can also get them on eBay for around $30

Starter Solenoid Alfa Romeo Audi BMW Landrover Mitsubishi Volkswagen Volvo | eBay

I found an original Bosch 12v part #31072 for $37

VW Starter Solenoid - Bosch 31072 | FCP Euro

I'm thinking if the Bosch is way better then $14 extra for both doors isn't a problem but if they do the same thing why waste that extra money?

My other question is how many amps does that solenoid need to open the door so I know how big of fuse to use? I figure for a starter it needs a big wire size but since opening a door is less than a second it shouldn't need that much. What wire size should I use?

Thanks in advance.