Power window mounting help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Power window mounting help

I'm putting the power windows in my '46 Chevy Panel truck. They are Dolphin units. They fit in the area alright but I need some help on the mounting. Heres a couple of pics-

#1 Window unit in its space
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph...cat/500/page/1
#2 Window unit mounting bracket I made
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph...cat/500/page/1

The mounting bracket I made is of 18 ga metal. Its still rough cut for now. Because of the inner door panel it has to be as flat as possible. What I really need to know is if the 18 ga is going to be strong enough without flexing? And there is no mounting point for the top of the tracks, do they just kinda float up there? Last question I promise. For the lower window stop I was looking at just putting a bolt through the track, there is a large plastic block on the bottom of the window carriage(?). Will that work also?

Thanks
David
Just a firefighter
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Bigger is better

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, without physically being there to make a decision...

The 18 guage steel should be OK...although some square tubing inside the door wouldn't hurt either. there really isn't alot of pressure on the power widow unit when it operates. Basically, just put a few tack welds and try it. If it holds, weld it solid. most new cars only have a couple of pop rivets holding the PW in, so you should be fine.

The "floating" tracks at the top of the door can be cured with a flat head screw. just make sure and counter sink it so that it doesn't interfere with the window glass. one on each side at the top should do the trick.

The plastic block at the bottom of the carriage should be the stock window stop and should work nicely.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with your project.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:16 PM

power windows

I put in the same power window units in my 46. I had to cut the mounting tabs and take out about a 1/4 inch so they would line up better. I only used the 2 mounting tabs in the middle and the one on the end of the motor at the bottom. take out the bolts that hold the slide ridgid from side to side so the windows can be self aligning and aline the slides so they don't bind and you should be good to go. It's alittle bit of jacking around, but just take your time and you'll get it.. I am satisfied with them. They work pretty good. Hope this helps........GlennK
Old 01-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Just a firefighter

Last photo:

Thanks Glenn & Joe
I tried to mount it in last night and thought I had that I had it lined up pretty good by eye and a straight edge. Put my card board pattern in to test it(didn't want to break real glass) man I was no where near close. Quit for the night in better judgement. I'll try again tomorrow night.

David
Old 02-24-2006, 06:11 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:

Just curious how you came out. I am looking at the dolphin units and at the "its a snap" ones. The major differences are the dolphin motor is not attached to the track and the "snap" ones are. Any opinions on which is better.
Bob
Old 02-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Just a firefighter

Last photo:

Bob, it acually worked out very well, almost. And its not a design problem, I must not have had the passenger side lined up quite right. It worked great after I put them in and I ran them up and down many times off the battery but the other day I installed my center console with the switches in it and tested the drivers side perfectly, did the passengers side and it cracked just before it closed. Must have been a pressure crack for some reason I haven't gone back to fix it yet.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:24 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:

Is there an advantage to using the dolfin ones over units with the motor built into the track?
Bob
Old 02-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Just a firefighter

Last photo:

Hey Bob, Ya know I really don't know the answer to that question. This was the first window unit I ever put in and really allot of the reason I got the dolphins was cost. I looked at a bunch of others and talked to some folks around here. Some had the units and liked them, some didn't and swore by the $2-3-400.00 units so I just kinda went with my gut on the choice of them.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

What I did was find a junk door and cut the outer skin off, that gives you full view of the inside of the door. Then when I modified the mounting bracket and drilled mounting holes I made a poster board template and transfered that to the good doors and waalaa they were in with only minor adjustment.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.