Power window problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Car Obsessed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Power window problem

Working on ironing out the bugs in a '74 Jaguar XJ6.

Am now having a problem with the window switches. The DS front window goes up and down fine. None of the other windows work. In fact, using my multimeter, I can see that none of the wires to any of the other switches are getting any power.

The switches run through a relay. When I turn the key to the ACC position, from being OFF, I can hear the relay click. If I place my finger on the relay, I can feel something inside of it clicking on and off while I move the key on and off.

Do these symptoms allow anyone to help point me in the right direction? I'll also add that I previously and accidentallly grounded out a couple of the wires while the ignition was on, giving a very small spark show. I don't know if that is relevant to the problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions and diagnoses.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

2Many

Click on the "Search" box near the top of the page. You'll find a number of threads regarding door switch theory and diagnosis. Good place to start.

First thing you might try is just replacing the relay. If you jump the two "big" (I think they are # 87 and 30 on your relay) and the window works, then the prob is in your relay. If the window still doesn't work, then the more likely culprit is your switch. Many switch problems can be fixed my simply pulling the switch apart and cleaning up all the contacts.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Car Obsessed

Last photo:

Well, I have killed the window gremlins. I now have 4 fully functioning power windows. Basically, the DS front window gets power from the realy, and then it powers the PS front, which powers the DS rear etc. The DS front switch was opening and closing the window ok, so I assumed it was a good switch. I guess it was dirty inside or something, though, because it was not giving any power to the PS front, which means the other windows couldn't work, either. I disassembled all the switches, cleaned the heck out of them, and re-installed, and now all seems to be working properly. I'm happier than J-Lo's jeans.

BTW, I hate Haynes service manuals. The wiring diagram in the one I have is pretty bad, and it diesn't even correspond to what wires went to what switches on my car. Confused me more than anything

So basically, cboy, you were right on the money.

As for searching the archives, I guess maybe I should have. I searched the archives on several other sites that I frequent, spending about an hour trying to get ideas, so when I came here I thought I might just ask the question. I will search first next time.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyCars
BTW, I hate Haynes service manuals. The wiring diagram in the one I have is pretty bad, and it diesn't even correspond to what wires went to what switches on my car.
2ManyCars,

Glad you got everything operational again. Just so you know, the Autozone web site now has wiring diagrams in their repair section. Go to this site, http://www.autozone.com/home.htm click on "Repair Info" in the upper left hand box, then just click through to your particular car/year/model etc. Once you are in the repair manual area you will see a link to the wiring diagram. As best I can tell, these are Chilton's diagrams...so in some cases they may not be much better than the Haynes. But worth a look since they are free. I've found the wire color codes to be pretty accurate.

Dewey
Old 08-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Cure

Doc here,

Power Windows, like computer checkout stands, are supposed to make life easier....right?

Glad you got it running..

Doc
Old 08-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Car Obsessed

Last photo:

cboy, thanks for the tip on the AutoZone wiring diagrams, I hadn't known about that. It doesn't look like they have Jaguar info, but that's probably because not too many Jag owners shop at AutoZone!

Doc, you're right. In the case of the windows, I much prefer the hand-crank units on my old Pontiacs!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.