Power window problems (1994 Camaro) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 02:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Power window problems (1994 Camaro)

Hi,

I bought a 1994 Camaro (v6 3.4L) about 2 months ago, and recently the power window on the driver side door has stopped working. Sometimes it will go down, and other times it will go back up completely. Somtimes it'll get down a couple inches and stop. I did find this a bit helpful (slamming the door got the window back up all the way before it stopped working again )

However, I was wondering if anyone had an idea as what could be going on. I'm kinda guessing the motor is dying, or the wiring has got a short in it somewhere.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(note: its not much of a "hotrod" but it works for me )

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 02:28 PM

Power window

From past experience you have a normal power window motor going out. Best thing to do is pull the door panel and take a test light to the motor and check it up & down to make sure the switch is not heating up and breaking current, but the switches seldom fail. Also make sure while the door panel is off that the guides that the window slides in are not rotted and lube them with some spray lube. You can inspect the wiring harness with the panel off also but I doubt you will find any problems there either.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:19 PM

The motor going out was sort of my first thought, but i'll definitely check the rest out.

I've looked on Autozone's website, and they have two different motors a Seimens which is $50 and an A-1 which is $75 + Core Val of $15. is there a difference (e.g. quality?) or is one just more expensive due to brand?

In anycase thank you for the info, its greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:38 PM

Window Motor

Check with your parts stores and ask if they can get it in a AC-Delco part. Advance can. They run about $58.00. It's a job replacing the window motor and I would rather spend a little more for a quality part because of the nature of repair than to have a cheaper re-man part that you might have to replace it again later. Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2004, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info,

It may have to wait till I can talk to my uncle as he has a bit more room for me to work in, gotta love the wings, I mean doors on a camaro (garage isn't big enough, and the weather forecast around here isn't to grand)
Old 11-25-2004, 07:57 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Re: Power window

Quote:
Originally posted by Restore60s
... but the switches seldom fail.
They may not fail but they can sure get corroded. I just fixed a similar problem in my SR5 a few weeks back by taking apart the switches and sanding down all the contact points. Works great now.

Also, before you buy a new motor, take everything apart and test your existing motor by jumping a hot wire and ground wire (bypass the switch). Most of these motors run in both directions (one direction for up, the other for down) and the switch mechanism simply reverses the hot and the ground so that the motor can run both ways. So you'll need to test it in both directions by reversing your two jumper wires.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.