Hot Rod Forum banner

power window will not go up

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  maddogmodl 
#1 ·
I have a '99 Chevy venture (mini van) the riders side window sometimes will not go up. I changed the switch on the riders door and it worked for a couple of weeks. Then stopped again. So I changed the motor. That worked for a few days. Do I need to change the switch on the drivers door or is there a wiring problem I should be looking at? My wife is getting upset because we are in sunny southern California and she likes the windows open. I will appreciate any help.
Thank you
Bob

#3 · (Edited)
maddogmodl said:
I have a '99 Chevy venture (mini van) the riders side window sometimes will not go up. I changed the switch on the riders door and it worked for a couple of weeks. Then stopped again. So I changed the motor. That worked for a few days. Do I need to change the switch on the drivers door or is there a wiring problem I should be looking at? My wife is getting upset because we are in sunny southern California and she likes the windows open. I will appreciate any help.
Thank you
Bob
I would look at the wiring in the umbillical (from the body to the door). Check the drivers side , it is most likely the place where the problem is. A quick way to check ( may or may not show results) is to run the window up and down from the drivers switch and swing the door back and forth to see if it quits/ starts working.The wires in there break over a period of years from the door swinging wich flexes the wires and eventually breaking them. They can touch occaisionally as sometimes they are hanging on by the insulation.

The drivers side is usually the culprit as it gets used the most of all the doors.
If it only quits working in the up or down mode then it is more likely a switch problem,as a broken wire would affect the operation in both directions.
You should verify power and ground to the motor as well, but need to do it when the symptom occurs. Some of the other things I have described here should help you sort through some of the issue.

#4 ·
eloc431962 said:
Probably the window regulator hanging up on you. JMO

Cole
This is a very good possibility.
If it is sticking or stuck, you should be able to push the window switch and see the dome light "dim down" just a little. This would be a good indication that the window motor is getting power and is just stuck.try it with the engine not running , the light will dim a little from the voltage drop the motor is creating. with the engine not running the alternator cant make up the difference which makes the dome light test work a little better.

#7 ·
I just had to replace a front door on my Aerostar. The junkyard door I picked up would not move the window all the way. When going down sometimes the window would hang up, and twist slightly, jamming it in the tracks.

I sprayed the tracks with a silicone spray lubricant, and that helped a little. I then reached inside the door, and pulled the front track aft, and the rear track forward, and removed the extra space that allowed the window to twist.

I also put a little bit of fresh grease on the window regulator, and even took the motor apart, and worked some new fresh grease into the gears of the motor.

#8 ·
DanielC said:
I just had to replace a front door on my Aerostar. The junkyard door I picked up would not move the window all the way. When going down sometimes the window would hang up, and twist slightly, jamming it in the tracks.

I sprayed the tracks with a silicone spray lubricant, and that helped a little. I then reached inside the door, and pulled the front track aft, and the rear track forward, and removed the extra space that allowed the window to twist.

I also put a little bit of fresh grease on the window regulator, and even took the motor apart, and worked some new fresh grease into the gears of the motor.
That was a good idea. Most window motors have a circuit breaker in them and it can make the motor quit from being operated while the window is dragging say from dried out grease or a twisted channel. The motor draws to much current while dragging and the circuit breaker heats up and the circuit opens to protect the motor from damage.
I know that you know , Dan C , I have read some of your posts and I am sure you know( ;) ) I was only making mention for the posting party.

#9 ·
relay corrosion

I had problems fixing a Ford pickup. the relay terminals were corroded. I would show power with a test lite but it would not get enough amps to move the windows. corrosion problems can be hard to find. I used jumper cables from the battery to the motors to check them out. then knew they were ok. and started tracing back the wiring.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. The window was not stuck, when I removed the motor, the window would slide up and down easily. I tried jumping the wires on the drivers door switch and think I found the problem. The pass. door switch worked , when bypassing the drivers switch. Now I am waiting for a new switch. I will also take a look under the carpet just to see if that wire is waring through.

Thanks again
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.