Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - power window will not go up
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmodl
I have a '99 Chevy venture (mini van) the riders side window sometimes will not go up. I changed the switch on the riders door and it worked for a couple of weeks. Then stopped again. So I changed the motor. That worked for a few days. Do I need to change the switch on the drivers door or is there a wiring problem I should be looking at? My wife is getting upset because we are in sunny southern California and she likes the windows open. I will appreciate any help.
Thank you
Bob
I would look at the wiring in the umbillical (from the body to the door). Check the drivers side , it is most likely the place where the problem is. A quick way to check ( may or may not show results) is to run the window up and down from the drivers switch and swing the door back and forth to see if it quits/ starts working.The wires in there break over a period of years from the door swinging wich flexes the wires and eventually breaking them. They can touch occaisionally as sometimes they are hanging on by the insulation.

The drivers side is usually the culprit as it gets used the most of all the doors.
If it only quits working in the up or down mode then it is more likely a switch problem,as a broken wire would affect the operation in both directions.
You should verify power and ground to the motor as well, but need to do it when the symptom occurs. Some of the other things I have described here should help you sort through some of the issue.

Last edited by latech; 03-02-2011 at 05:35 PM.