Hot Rod Forum banner

Power windows 46 Ford

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
I want to put power windows in my 46 Ford convertible, Currently I am running the original regulator with a motor mounted to it but just doesn't do the job, Can anyone suggest a kit or even a factory job that would work OK

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Centreline,
Your link took me to Specialty's 46-48 convertible kit, Have asked them for more info as I am a bit worried it may use the original
regulator which is stripped on my car, and I haven't been able to source one anywhere.
That is part of the problem, they were always too slow, and when the reg stripped I thought time to go back to the drawing board

#5 ·
To the best of my knowledge the Specialty Power Windows units are self contained and don't use any of your stock components. I have a set that I'll be installing on my '53 pickup this summer. Haven't opened the box yet but when looking at what's included in the kit it really doesn't need anything else.

Centerline

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks willys36@aol.com
Had a look at your journal and what you have done, It is very similar to my setup but in the 46' it is setup to go through two sets of gears creating a very low ratio and therefore very slow winding.
My other problem is that one of the small gears has stripped off and I can't find a replacement even in reproduction stuff.
But if I go with your idea I may be able to ditch the other gears and go straight the main gear as per your pics, This may do the trick. Although they are a fairly heavy window with the steel frame.
Tried to email "specialty" that CENTRELINE put me on to but the email address on their site doesn't work.
CENTRELINE,
Thought I should tell you my other problem, With all this I am also trying to build up a 39 Chev Coupe for my daughter, at the same time

#7 ·
woody51 said:
CENTERLINE,
Thought I should tell you my other problem, With all this I am also trying to build up a 39 Chev Coupe for my daughter, at the same time
Now I understand your wanting to go with the lesser expensive alternative. :)

Centerline

#9 ·
Just talked to them on the phone and confirmed this e-mail address. If you can't get to them that way I guess snail mail is your only option. Try them here: spwkits@aol.com

Centerline

#13 ·
Bummer - yes that makes a big difference. W/o the spring, the motor must work at least twice as hard as it would if it were there. A spring serves to counterbalance the weight of the window so all a motor needs to do is overcome a little friction and move very little weight. I didn't realize any window riser came w/o the balance spring. Learn something new every day. I still think I would try the motor directly on the big gear and dump the idler. couldn't hurt and if it works, you save $$ and still end up with a better unit than the typical after market ones.

#16 ·
It was the first link that came up when I did a Yahoo search. Probably was old cause the site you have above is the one I used to get their phone number and confirm their e-mail address was good.

Centerline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.