PowerBlockTV Painted a Mustang with Dupicolor Boy did they suck at a Low buck project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PowerBlockTV Painted a Mustang with Dupicolor Boy did they suck at a Low buck project

Now I thought this would be a good post how not to paint and resto your Car unless you just trying to make it look better that the piece of junk it looks like!! down and dirty quick like! I still like the paint but the way they did it sure made the paint look like crude they could have sanded and buff it a little!
That show suck just my tooo cents.

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

The PAINT sucks! And that was the absolute WORST paint job I have ever seen! And then they put all new chrome on the car which made it even worse. Doesn't make any since to spend all the time and money "restoring" a car and then use crap materials on it.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM

product placement....duplicolor paying advertiser. Able to suck in the ill informed
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

It was hard to watch....
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Low Buck

It was interesting ,paint your car in a weekend. You have to think about the premis of the show. I agree the job cut every corner you could, one coat of primer, no sanding or sealer and then paint. The new bumpers and trim, no idea why. The Mustang looks alot better than it did,and probably as good as my first attempt,I'm older now I can do better.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

I thought it was odd that Rick was gone for the whole show. Could he be leaving? Or was he upset about the decision to paint the Stang the way they did?

Also, did anybody notice Charley Hutton showing up to help paint the Factory5 rod? Sort of the way Rick showed up to flame the early 60's Chevy.

And what about Naomi?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I did a better job in my back yard when I painted my sisters Bug at 16 years old.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
I did a better job in my back yard when I painted my sisters Bug at 16 years old.

LOL, had a friend who was a couple of years older than me who had a Renault Dauphine(sp). He acrually painted that car in his back yard and used a vacuum cleaner to apply the paint. It actually looked better than the Duplicolr job.

Vince
Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
LOL, had a friend who was a couple of years older than me who had a Renault Dauphine(sp). He acrually painted that car in his back yard and used a vacuum cleaner to apply the paint. It actually looked better than the Duplicolr job.

Vince
I hear that. Even with cheap paint I don't understand why they had so much orange peel and dry spots.Must have been a really lousy painter.Cheap paint may not last long but you can still apply it properly.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I dont think they will get any RAVE reviews on that paint job,, terrable at best,, dry spots and huge orange peel,, all it needs now is a Navel,, ( get it? navel ? orange??,, oh !!!! never mind )
Why would Duplicolor even think of trying to bring back a Laquer based paint system,,
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

They should have left it in primer. It looked better.

Obviously, Duplicolor sponsored that show. So... they had to use the Duplicolor paint system. Although it is cheap crap when it comes to paint, no matter how cheap it is just like any cheap paint it can be made to look very nice.... at least for a while. Why they didn't take the time to sand and buff it out I don't know. With something like an Air-vantage sander you can do a whole car in just a couple hours and then just buff. It would seem to me that leaving the paint job unfinished didn't do Duplicolor's reputation any good, especially considering this probably isn't the only thread and the only forum this is being discussed.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Street rods have a Chevy in front and a can of wax in the back.......real Hot Rods on the other hand have a flathead in front and a box of tools in the back" -- Fred Offenhauser
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I watched that show too and was horrified at how poorly the paint looked after they were done, good lord I wouldn't want my name associated with that car!

I couldn't figure out why they didn't just sand and buff either, heck a few more coats of paint and they could go to town on it to get rid of the orange peel and dry spots and make it look great no matter how poorly the paint was applied?

I seen a rattle can laquer paint job once that was beautiful, it was a solid color but the shine after it was final wet sanded with 1200 grit and then polished was impressive, still don't understand why the guy didn't just buy a gun for what he spent on cans but it turned out really nicely in the end anyway.

I guess I am old school but I still like the shine you get with laquer, its unlike a modern paint product and has its own patina. Shame on PowerBlock for not taking the opportunity to show off how nice a laquer paint can look when properly done...and it doesn't take a great painter or good quality tools to make it look good either...just lots of elbow grease.

If I was Duplicolor I would be PO'ed, nothing wrong with laquer if thats the look you want, it could have been a nice showcase of old school painting but instead it turned into a hack job.

Can you say "missed opportunity"!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I can understand doing something on the cheap! But to not even try to make it look good was a low as you can go! The hood scoop Was painted with a can! Why did they not spray it. I don't know about the rest of you but if I'm going to touch up the engine bay I at least give it a sanding so at least it looks good!
I hate to say it again but it reminds me of a use car guy!
The Bronco they did I think turned out very nice in show casing the paint. and a perfect fit for the off roader! I can understand Rick not wanting to be a part of this one!

Craig
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Earl Scheib is probably gloating out there somewhere. The guys at chicano-bake are probably getting a good laugh too.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

these shows are good for one thing. Reminding me to go outside, and work on my own stuff.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.