Powerbuilt balancer installer problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: Before the 6-71 cometh
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Powerbuilt balancer installer problem

So I borrowed this kit from a friend and work and heated the balancer in the oven to 175 degrees. It went on nice and snug. When I went to remove the tool part of it stayed in the crankshaft snout! It is not broken, it just unscrewed. I really poor design if you ask me. It must have bottomed in the crank snout and that's why it is tight. User error? I dunno. So I figured, no big deal. I will just use the puller and remove the balancer to get at the threaded rod. NOPE. I can't center the tool and as soon as I started to tighten it it puts a side load on the bolts that screw into the damper. The threaded rod the puller is pressing against has a flat face.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Put the correct socket on top of the hex head of the tool. Now the pointed part of your puller will stay centered in the cavity of the socket. It should come off without too much trouble. You shouldn't need any special tools to install a balancer. Get it on as far as you can by hand. Then use a longer balancer bolt and some washers to get the balancer on most of the way. You want to make sure the bolt in engaged into a lot of threads on the crank before it pulls on the balancer. Once it is almost all the way in, remove the longer bolt and you can use the stock balancer bolt to finish it up.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Those installers are usually universal and that's why it uses a stud to adapt different cranks to the installer. Is it possible the stud had a groove in one side for a flat head screwdriver and the stud was inserted backward?

The stud shouldn't be stuck in the crank snout all that tight. Is there any way at all to jam two nuts together then put a wrench on it?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster
Put the correct socket on top of the hex head of the tool. Now the pointed part of your puller will stay centered in the cavity of the socket. It should come off without too much trouble. You shouldn't need any special tools to install a balancer. Get it on as far as you can by hand. Then use a longer balancer bolt and some washers to get the balancer on most of the way. You want to make sure the bolt in engaged into a lot of threads on the crank before it pulls on the balancer. Once it is almost all the way in, remove the longer bolt and you can use the stock balancer bolt to finish it up.
The threaded rod is round at the end and has maybe 2 threads i can reach. The Socket idea is worth a shot although it will probably tear up the threads. I don't see anyway to remove this tool without pulling the balancer off again.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Those installers are usually universal and that's why it uses a stud to adapt different cranks to the installer. Is it possible the stud had a groove in one side for a flat head screwdriver and the stud was inserted backward?

The stud shouldn't be stuck in the crank snout all that tight. Is there any way at all to jam two nuts together then put a wrench on it?
I think what I did was install it too far into the crank, then when I was pulling the damper on it bottomed the crank snout threads which tightened the stud so now I can't unscrew it. There is not slot, no hex just a smooth flat round face and no way to center a puller.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Still need help

Still can't get this stud out of the crank. On a mechanic's advice I got a cutoff wheel on a Dremel (only 2 threads worth of stud sticking out past the damper) and cut a deep notch in it. Then I got an impact driver with a bit that fit tightly. So far so good. Removed the fan, radiator and transmission cooler so I had some swinging room. I used a 2 pound hammer and wailed on it for 20 minutes. NOTHING. It never budged. Yes, the impact is set on LEFT.

Any ideas? All I can think of now is to carefully weld a bolt on it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.