Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Powerglide and cam combo (Street-strip)
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrider View Post
My rear end ratio: 3.73 and my intention is to get strong acceleration. Also, i like choppy idle
You are lacking knowledge of launch ratios. If you multiply the rear gear ratio times the first gear ratio, that gives you your launch ratio. Ideally, around 10:1 works best. In other words, your 3.73:1 rear ratio times a first gear ratio of around 2.7:1 would equal 10.07:1. Your PG trans will have a first gear ratio of 1.76:1 if it's a stock first gear, so one or the other needs to be changed in order to afford you optimal launch acceleration. Either use a different transmission that has a first gear ratio around 2.7:1 or change the rear end ratio to something in the 5.57:1 range (12-bolt) for a 9.80:1 first gear final drive ratio. Your current final drive first gear ratio with the PG and 3.73:1 rear gear will be 6.56:1 and you will be very disappointed.

As far as a lumpy cam, install a CompCams Mutha Thumpr. It'll work with your 9.5:1 static compression ratio.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
Coolrider (12-06-2012)