Powerglide Compatability - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2002, 05:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Powerglide Compatability

I have a big old powerglide off of a 302 GMC. I was thinking of using it in my 55 chevy gasser, would this be feasable?? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2002, 06:39 PM

If it bolts up which it should 2 speed the way to go for consistancy run run run
Old 04-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Question

Why do people use powerglides over 3 speed autos? I heard 3 speeds are much faster. Whats the big deal with powerglides?
Old 04-02-2002, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Pwwerglides are consistant and absolutely bomb proof, they will take 3 times the beating a built TH 400 will and go right on working. People use 3 speed autos for the street, but most strip cars would function better with a good powerglide.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:21 PM

Speaking of Tri-Five gassers, did you see the article in the latest 'HotRod' magazine on the primered one? I just skimmed it, but it looked like a fun ride.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

yeah, I saw that article. I didn't read the text, but I looked at the pics. It is a nice ride. That is basically what mine will be when done, but it will have a 500 horse chevy six
Old 04-02-2002, 06:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

One of the first cars I ever drove was a 69 Chevy Nova 4dr with a 250 six and 2spd powerglide. The car was a real bomb and since it was my friends mom car and he didn't have a license yet I got to do all the driving.

To make a long story short we drove the livin sh_t out of that car, I remember one time we were down some side street and he mentioned to me if it was possible for this little car to smoke the tires. So we stopped and tried the usual methods with little success, I then suggested we try a reverse/drive drop at speed to see if we could get the tires spinning. So that is what we did, in reverse at as fast a speed the little Nova would go I dropped the trans into drive and stomped the gas.

Sure enough the tires were soon roasting going backwards and layed about 40ft of nice black rubber on the ground. We were laughing our guts out and decided to try it again but this time keep cycling between reverse and drive to keep the tires spinning. Well let me tell you that little Nova did it over and over again until we were laughing so hard that I think I peed my pants. It never once made any funny noises or seemed to dislike the abuse, the fluid didn't burn and we drove it like that for at least one more summer before we took it to the junk heap still running and that powerglide still snapping off perfect shifts. Of course I would never think of doing that now but it sure made me a believer in powerglide durability, what a great transmission and a great motor.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:59 PM

Wink

Gasser,?,if you are talking about a real race car (drag) using a stock powerglide would be a very good way to lose a foot or a leg or both.
True many very fast drag cars use a powerglide (style) trans,these are purpose built,use NO oem parts not even the case.
Ck.with a good trans shop that does hi-po build ups for the full story.
Remember when these trans. were used new,most were in cars that couldn't spin a tire on ice.
so the only real use for a stock p/g trans is a door stop.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tip, I just had it around and thought that I would check into it's usability.
And by gasser I mean a 55 chevy post coupe with a nine inch rear, straight front axle, 10 point cage, and a 500+ horse 671 supercharged 292 Chevy Six (with all the little stuff to make it street legal).
Do you think I should look into TH 400s or would a TH 350 do the job (as you may be able to tell, I have never done any automatics)??
Old 04-02-2002, 09:27 PM

I always rate a transmission by what it does and what it cost to make it do it . Glides are bullitproof in a stock enviroment . I found out the hard way what happens with a 427 in front of the glide when you hit the nitrous , Parts went through the windshield and nearly took my foot off . I later looked into what it would take to build a good glide , I can do 3 400 turbos for what a glide cost to be truely bullet proof . The 400 has a much heavier rotating mass but with all the abuse the 700hp 427 hasn't killed the 400 yet and it has eaten several 9 inch rears so we went to a 3/4 ton dana lock type , now we are crossing our fingers that the drive shaft wont twist like a pretzel again . The 69 chevelle has been one of the most dependable race cars we have worked with . Im not nocking glides because too many people sware by them . They are obsolete and you need to spend a fortune on them to get them bullit proof . Besides with the new camshafts a shorter power curve with three gears can be faster than a long power curve with two . I know because the velle got much faster with the three speed and a different cam .
Old 04-03-2002, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Stinmar1,
Thanks a lot, you have shed a great deal of light on my tranny delimas.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

hey stinmar, your car ate up plenty on 9's? Did you try nodular 9s? They use those in professional drag racing with no problems.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.