PowerGlide Problems (no reverse) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PowerGlide Problems (no reverse)

I have a 78 gmc half ton with a powerglide in it, and reverse isn't working in it.
The two forward gears work fine, and i also found out when i have the truck up on jack stands and put it into reverse both back wheels will spin forward very slowly, fluid level is good but somewhat burnt. (the previous owner tried moving the truck with next to no fluid in it and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't move at all )
It seems to me like a seal must be leaking in the valve body and some fluid is getting to the bands for 1st gear instead of reverse but I really don't know anything about auto transmissions so I'm just kinda grasping at straws on this.
If anyone has had this happen or might know what would be wrong I sure would appreciate some help

Thanks in advance!

Oh one more thing, I know this is not the original transmission, is there any way to find out what year it is? or what it might have come out of? Thanks again!

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Powerglides will have forward motion when there is no load on the drivetrain due to the band in them (low gear). It has a tendency to self-energize with engine RPM when there is no other clutch applied. It probably will spin the wheels in neutral also. This is not your problem.

Several things can cause no reverse. Is the reverse clutch burnt? Moving the truck with no fluid is not a good idea as the reverse clutch WILL burn when the output shaft is spun (as in towing). No automatic likes this...

Also, was this trans rebuilt? If so, the rebuilder may have assembled the governor support/rear case area incorrectly, blocking oil flow.

Is this a transbrake trans?? If so, many of them require the solenoid to be energized when the shifter is in reverse.

In order to help I need more info.....
Old 04-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

Chazmac,
Thanks for the reply, I really don't know to much about the trucks history, I bought it last year as a project truck, the frame was cracked on one side and the guy i bought it from was planning on fixing the frame until he found out the trans was bad. I had the truck towed on a flatbed so the tow home should not have caused any further damage. I suspect that he tried moving it with no fluid in it and may have burnt the reverse band. Is there any way to check this without disassembly? Also it is not a transbrake trans.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

you will have to tear it down to check it out, the reverse clutches are at the rear of the case.but the good news is a kit does not cost much and they are easy to rebuild.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

So I'm pretty much looking at a rebuild then? how difficult are these things to build? I've never tore into a trans before,are there any specialty tools needed for the job? and is there anything i should consider upgrading while its all apart?
You guys are gonna be sick of my questions before i get this done lol

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

PowerGlide Problems (no reverse)

You can probably get a rebuild manual with the rebuild kit you buy.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.