powerglide question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 90
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
powerglide question

Hi, I have a 65 impala with a 327 and powerglide. Problem is the fluid is brown in color and smells burned. I got the car 5 years ago and replaced the filter+fluid a couple of times and it always shifted fine although the fluid is still brown/burned. I would like to purge the burned fluid out of the trans but don't see any way of doing this since there is no drain on the torque converter.
Is this something a backyard mechanic can do without a large investment in equipment ? I am thinking about replacing the trans with a th350 which will cost around $800 but want to determine if the PG really is trashed first.
Any ideas comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
otg

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Carrollton Il.
Age: 72
Posts: 112
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
slip n slide with a powerglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlythegood
Hi, I have a 65 impala with a 327 and powerglide. Problem is the fluid is brown in color and smells burned. I got the car 5 years ago and replaced the filter+fluid a couple of times and it always shifted fine although the fluid is still brown/burned. I would like to purge the burned fluid out of the trans but don't see any way of doing this since there is no drain on the torque converter.
Is this something a backyard mechanic can do without a large investment in equipment ? I am thinking about replacing the trans with a th350 which will cost around $800 but want to determine if the PG really is trashed first.
Any ideas comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
otg
Sounds like the glide is finished. A rebuilt 350 w/ shift kit would be a pleasant improvment. Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Taylorsville, North Carolina
Age: 64
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking that that a powerglide that old had a plug in the front of the torque converter. Have you turned the converter all the way around while looking at the front of it? If it doesn't have a plug, you can always disconnect the transmission fluid line going to the radiator, the one with pressure in it with the engine running, and run the engine until the fluid all runs out. It should take about a minute. Don't run the engine any longer than necessary to run the fluid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
DeathRattle's Avatar
Some Punk Kid
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
Age: 28
Posts: 787
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I cannot be the only one that has seen/done this. This is really ghetto and somewhat wasteful but in a pinch with no money this has saved me in the past.
Not best way of doing this, better you have a machine do it.(thats my disclaimer)

Two fittings with some long rubber hoses. Two five gallon buckets or whatever you got. Capacity of fluid plus 2 or 3 extra quarts.
Start up motor run it threw gears till new fluid is gone.
Get an extra set of hands to help out or just have it professionally flushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 90
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy D.
I was thinking that that a powerglide that old had a plug in the front of the torque converter. Have you turned the converter all the way around while looking at the front of it? If it doesn't have a plug, you can always disconnect the transmission fluid line going to the radiator, the one with pressure in it with the engine running, and run the engine until the fluid all runs out. It should take about a minute. Don't run the engine any longer than necessary to run the fluid out.

unfortunately the converter doesn't have a plug which would make it easy.
Thought about using the cooling lines but with my luck I would really end up
with a toasted trans.. Question remains how can something that is cooked still work with no real problems. I am going to get it cleaned out and see what happens. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 PM
wyomingoutlaw's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montana
Posts: 37
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Kelley
Sounds like the glide is finished. A rebuilt 350 w/ shift kit would be a pleasant improvment. Jerry


back in the early '90's Hot Rod Magazine did a series of articles where they tested all of the popular automatics as well as some 4 speed muncies and saginaws, and some others that I can't think of off hand. the powerglide was the most efficient, and also weighs about 1/3 as much as a th350. if I can find the articles I will post a link. kinda off the topic I know, but I don't think a 350 is an upgrade from anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 90
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingoutlaw
back in the early '90's Hot Rod Magazine did a series of articles where they tested all of the popular automatics as well as some 4 speed muncies and saginaws, and some others that I can't think of off hand. the powerglide was the most efficient, and also weighs about 1/3 as much as a th350. if I can find the articles I will post a link. kinda off the topic I know, but I don't think a 350 is an upgrade from anything.
Interesting point. Newer may not always be better. For giggles, I may just check to see what a PG rebuild would cost. My son said that I woun't see any difference over 30mph. All I am "missing" is a first gear. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Lone Star State (Houston area)
Posts: 1,189
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The upgrade of the TH350 is the extra gear. I can live with the 2 I have in my PowerGlide but wouldn't mind a 200R for the gas mileage at today's almost $3 a gallon rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 90
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
The upgrade of the TH350 is the extra gear. I can live with the 2 I have in my PowerGlide but wouldn't mind a 200R for the gas mileage at today's almost $3 a gallon rates.
Wonder how much a 200R swap would be. What is this a 5 speed ? Sorry been working old muscle for way too long. My newest vehicle is a '78.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
383 stroker 73monte Engine 11 05-07-2014 09:08 AM
supercharger.... 73monte Engine 16 07-24-2010 11:27 AM
question about a previouse question elrod1030 Engine 6 03-10-2010 08:35 AM
Ignotion Set-ups Native Gearhead Engine 8 11-29-2003 02:20 PM
Hi All I just Joined, Questions Re:454 rebuild Gay-Shark Engine 8 11-29-2003 11:25 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.