Powerglide reverse only - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM

Last journal entry: assembled
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Powerglide reverse only

I have recently rebuilt a powerglide and today backed it out of the garage for a test run. I am a little confused because when I shifted from reverse to neutral and then drive and Low I was always in reverse? Once I got the car back into the garage I dropped the pan and viewed the shift linkage it appears to be moving the manual valve as it is supposed to. So I do not believe it is a linkage issue.

My question now is could I have somehow installed some of the valve body wrong not allowing the hydraulics to redirect to the proper ports for the forward direction? I was hoping someone has an idea as to what i did wrong. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. And maybe some pictures of the valve body or a link to some pictures.

the powerglide is all stock.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

sounds like the manual valve do u have proper clutch clearence if u have to manny clutches in it it would bind
Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Last journal entry: assembled
Last photo:

after looking closer I seen that the manual valve was not being moved by the shifting mechanism. I overlooked this the first time in a rush and must have overlooked this obvious mistake. Anyway after connecting it up the proper way it shifts through all the gears..
thanks for all the help.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 AM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

no problem
Old 09-29-2013, 10:40 PM

Amature,

I'm glad I've found this thread, I'm having the same exact problem! Do you have any pictures of where/what the manual valve is? was it as easy as just dropping the pan and rummaging around or did you have to take the whole transmission out?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM

Aluminum Powerglides are known for breaking, or stripping out, the "rooster comb". That's the internal piece of shift linkage that indexes the manual valve, and clamps to the shift rod after it passes through the case. One other common mistake concerns the use of a rear support gasket. In models with a rear pump, there is NO gasket used, just the wear plate; the gasket is used with models NOT having a rear pump (about 66 and newer transmissions). If a gasket is used with a rear pump model, the gasket blocks feed passages, and you'll have no reverse, and a single forward speed transmission. That, I learned from "experience". Butch/junior stocker.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 AM

Butch a.k.a. Junior Stocker,

Thanks for great info! I definitely had experience with stripping the rod that the rooster comb lever sat on. I had immediately replaced it. The problem I've found is the same as Amature, the manual valve wasn't seated right on the lever knob! Completely solved!

Thanks!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.