Hot Rod Forum banner

powerglide selector stuck

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ericnova72 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Buddy just purchased a 64 4 door nova, 283 V8, aluminum powerglide. We drove it around, no problems. He dollied it from NC to GA w/ the driveshaft removed from the rear. Got it home and trans won't go into gear. He did put it into reverse w/ the driveshaft still ratchet strapped to the muffler, but quickly stopped everything and installed driveshaft.

Problem he's having is the selector will not budge. He's removed the linkages from the trans and tried moving it manually by hand / tools and nothing. He says it feels like there's a little give to it, but other than that, no rotation at all.

I've been through 4L60e's and know them pretty well but don't know the first thing about the PG. Here's some pics he took, preciate any help!

See less See more
#4 ·
Good call. I think this was my issue.

Of course now I've got a large "clunk" going into either reverse or drive from park. Any thoughts on that?

Hotwire mentioned it might be my vacuum modulator. I didn't mess with anything outside of the pan, valve body, and internal linkage.

#6 ·
We drove it around previous to this having any issue, drivetrain seemed tight. I'm not saying it isn't the u-joints, but my thoughts were to look at what was last messed with. I'm assuming something happened w/ the modulator to where it's not seeing vacuum and has maxed the line pressure out? I could be wrong, but that's my vote in the suggestion box. :D Again, I know nothing about powerglides. I know how 700r4s work, assuming the vacuum modulator is along the same lines as a throttle valve cable?

#7 ·
Modulator and passing gear linkage do for the most part what the TV cable does on a 700R4. Both influence line pressure.

Passing gear link(kickdown) goes through the case in the same linkage hole as the gear selector, so you may have disturbed something there when you were dealing with your other linkage problem, causing the harsh drop into gear. Modulator needs a good vacuum line signal to work correctly. Both are worth a check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.