powerglide switch to th350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2002, 10:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question powerglide switch to th350

I drive a 67' Camaro that I am doing a slight hot rod job to. I can't deal with the powerglide 2 speed on the column any more. I am wondering what total price would be for a complete switch to a 4 in the floor including everything from tranny to clutch, to new steering column. anyone want help me out here?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2002, 06:54 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you are doing this yourself it will still be an expensive proposition. You will need if you can find it: Cluth pedal assembly to fit your Camaro, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, clutch fork, bell housing, transmission, and shifter, and you will have to modify or replace your drive shaft. Then you say you want to replace the column, well you will have to find a column to fit your Camaro also. If you are going to hire all this done and expect them to furnish parts it will be expensive. You might want to consider selling the car as is and finding and buying one like you want unless you have the tools and knowledge to do this yourself and have good luck finding some of the things you need at a bone yard at a decent price. It can be done though, I have done it, but I just thought I would let you know that it is not low cost.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Just sitting here thinking about your post.... For the topic you say switching from a powerglide to a TH350 and then you say in your post 4 in the floor ,clutch etc. A TH350 is a automatic trans ,so you would not need a clutch and all the other stuff that goes with it. If you want a 4 speed straight shift then you need everything I mentioned in my first reply. However all of the drag racers around here are taking thier standard shifts out and replacing them with powerglides. All the street rodders around here are using either TH350 or 700's so they will get better gas mileage, so if I were you I would give some thought to how I was going to be using the car. If gas mileage is not a factor, then you have a good combination with the 327 engine and powerglide trans. I would just beef up the powerglide if it were mine.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:35 PM

I've talked to a lot of people in the past couple of day's, and everyone says to keep the powerglide, but the column still bothers me, nothing terrible about it, i just dont like it, it doesnt seem like a muscle car. I've been told it's fairly easy to switch from the column to the floor. Do you think that would be a good, economical project?
Old 02-11-2002, 07:39 PM

I know i sound like i know nothing but...I really know very little. I'm only 17, and my dad is'nt into hot rodding, it's all my on my own. I can give specs on most cars, i just havent figured out what does what and why yet. thank you for your patience with me.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:14 PM

It is not a difficult change to make. Get a copy of Summit or Jegg's catalogl. They sell floor shifters in several different flavors. You will just have to cut a hole in our trans. tunnel and mount the shifter. You will remove the linkage to your column at the bottom of the column. This will be obvious when you look at the floor shifter installation. Then you can pull your steering wheel off and pull the first section of the hub off. You can remove the entire shift lever and will be left with a hole. It won't disturb the steering column lock. You can then fill the hole with some bondo or and repaint the hub. It will look like it never had one or you can look in the junk yards for a hub with no hole. Steering columns cost about $35 at the jund yard and most are very similar with the exception of the length of the bottom of the shaft, so the top sections are mostly interchangeable. If you get into it and need help, we can help you with pictures and private e-mails. I do agree with previous writters about swithching to a stick, it would be a big project and pretty costly by the time you bought all the stuff and rebuilt the transmission. Probably in the range of $2k or more. Your transmission is strong. An upgrade to a th350 would get you another gear and the same reliablity, but you would have to shorten your drive shaft. By the time you bought a rebuildable th350 and rebuilt it, you will be into it for about $500. It would take at least 600hp and same torque to break it.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.