Powerglide or TH350??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 04:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Powerglide or TH350???

Both are automatics, going into a 63 Bel Air Wagon.

The Powerglide is already in the car, and it would be nice to not deal with the driveline adjustments etc, but I heard that this transmission would be junk in this car since it's being used as a daily driver and will be seeing frequent freeway miles.

I heard this from a tranny guy, but I don't know how knowledgable he is since I've seen him do some pretty hairbrained stuff on his own car...

From what I understand the PG had no problems before, but it was getting pulled around by a beat to hell 327 (at least it had double humps, I'm swipin those for a cheap build later, lol)

I believe it has a pretty tall rearend also, with like 2.83 right now (hopefully talk the old man into putting at least some 3.23's back there, but I'm shootin for 4.10's, lol)

It's gonna be sitting behind a 350 bored .060 over with a XE268 cam, 1.6 magnum roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, carb is undecided (probably a rebuilt Q-jet just to get it going), got a new flywheel for the tranny to hook up to also.

The tranny came with the motor but we have no idea if it's any good or not, so that's kind of a gamble. Not to mention messing around with the driveshaft and whatnot if we drop that in.

Any suggestions?

Please help, I'm clueless when it comes to trannys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 07:02 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

nothing wrong w/either tranny other then the PG only has 2 gears. some folks love the PG's other hate them. the best part is the 350turbo is a direct bolt in (except for the shifter linkage down on the tranny) where the PG is now. which would I prefer???? i'll take 3 speeds anyday rather then 2.....joe
Old 05-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

You would get better performance with three gears, but there is nothing wrong with a Powerglide in that car, and it is "period correct". Our family had a few Chevys with Powerglides and they went down the freeway just fine.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizturbed One

The Powerglide is already in the car, and it would be nice to not deal with the driveline adjustments etc, but I heard that this transmission would be junk in this car since it's being used as a daily driver and will be seeing frequent freeway miles.

I heard this from a tranny guy, but I don't know how knowledgable he is since I've seen him do some pretty hairbrained stuff on his own car...

From what I understand the PG had no problems before, but it was getting pulled around by a beat to hell 327 (at least it had double humps, I'm swipin those for a cheap build later, lol)

I believe it has a pretty tall rearend also, with like 2.83 right now (hopefully talk the old man into putting at least some 3.23's back there, but I'm shootin for 4.10's, lol)

It's gonna be sitting behind a 350 bored .060 over with a XE268 cam, 1.6 magnum roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, carb is undecided (probably a rebuilt Q-jet just to get it going), got a new flywheel for the tranny to hook up to also.

The tranny came with the motor but we have no idea if it's any good or not, so that's kind of a gamble. Not to mention messing around with the driveshaft and whatnot if we drop that in.

Any suggestions?

Can I make you an offer for your 327?

Rich
Old 05-15-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlackey
Can I make you an offer for your 327?

Rich
Sorry

Gonna build it up for my dad's 53 Chevy Pickup to the best of my understanding.

Thanks alot for your help though guys, I think I'll go with the TH350 since it's pretty close to being a bolt in. I'll figure something out for the linkage, shouldn't be too bad.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:19 PM

Either trans is good the glid or the th350 both will bolt in with no problems you will need to change the shifter tho. The drive shaft will bolt right up only thing will a glid is you need steep gears in the rear for when it is in high gear.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:07 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizturbed One

Any suggestions?

Dizturbed I can help you with you dilema. I had a very similar set up in my 67 Impala conv. 327 .030 over, Comp Cams 268 hi energy cam, edelbrock performer, Q-jet carb and stk ex. manifolds. The car had a PG and a 3.08 gear. I swapped the PG for a Turbo 350 and never looked back. It is a direct bolt in and I even used my stock column shifter. While I was making the swap, I installed a TCI 11" converter. It felt like I added 50 hp and 75 lbs ft of torque to an already good running combination. It would spin the tires for 50 ft if you floored the throttle from a stop. I can't recommend this swap enough. You will love it.

P.S. If anyone needs a PG, I've got 3 on the shelf including one set up for a factory floor shift.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

what do you need out of em?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.