Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Powering my trolley hoist (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/powering-my-trolley-hoist-136777.html)

Kruzin Karl 04-10-2008 06:40 PM

Powering my trolley hoist

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up off of sleazebay, it's 20 amp 120 volt.

I'm in the middle of doing my plans, or rather, this lazy no good "architect" is supposedely doing them, that's a whole 'nother story, and I need to figure out how I'm going to power this baby up so I can include that on the garage plans.

The garage is sadly only going to be about 22 x 44 feet, the most I can possibly squeeze in between my existing structure, easement on the side, and setback at the ends.

I'm planning on two I-beams longitudinally, with another I-beam running width wise, two trolleys on either side. The winch trolley itself will roll left to right on the center I-beam, and the center I-beam will roll from front to back.

So, with the ability to pretty much slide the winch anywhere in the garage, how do I supply it with a power source that will move with it?

A power reel of some kind in the center? Flexible wiring of some kind?

Hopefully someone has done this or seen it done.

Thanks - Karl

michael cook 04-11-2008 03:01 AM

hoist

where I work our over head trolleys have a cable about 1-2 feet above I beam with little rollers on it from the rollers they hang the power cable and it goes back and forth with the hoist unit and just kinda folds up and unfolds as it moves real slick and easy to do I wolud get you a pictiure but no cameras allowed in there !!!! a truck driver to a picture of his truck in the plant one day they banned him from enteringthe site again and fined his company and confiscated his camera !!! we can't have cell phones becauase of cameras in them LOL hope this helps

zacknolden 04-14-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kruzin Karl
Just picked this up off of sleazebay, it's 20 amp 120 volt.

I'm in the middle of doing my plans, or rather, this lazy no good "architect" is supposedely doing them, that's a whole 'nother story, and I need to figure out how I'm going to power this baby up so I can include that on the garage plans.

I'm planning on two I-beams longitudinally, with another I-beam running width wise, two trolleys on either side. The winch trolley itself will roll left to right on the center I-beam, and the center I-beam will roll from front to back.

So, with the ability to pretty much slide the winch anywhere in the garage, how do I supply it with a power source that will move with it?

A power reel of some kind in the center? Flexible wiring of some kind?

Hopefully someone has done this or seen it done.

Thanks - Karl

The garage is sadly only going to be about 22 x 44 feet ;)

russcomp 04-17-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacknolden
The garage is sadly only going to be about 22 x 44 feet ;)

wish it was mine :thumbup:

kwman 04-19-2008 10:17 PM

Power reel

I have a 1 ton hoist that rolls on a "I" beam, the power comes from a cable reel without the stops installed. The end at the hoist has a strain relief on the cable. The cable is spring loaded and recoils itself when ever it moves.
For you install you should mount a reel right in the midle above the winch. Make sure you get a good reel with roller guides at the payout section.