Powermaster Alternator Wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Powermaster Alternator Wiring

Ok, fairly new to alternator wiring, but I think I have the general idea. I jsut want to check with someone who may know before I actually do it. I have a Powermaster 140-amp alternator that is a three wire. My alternator is a 3-wire, but I am unsure of how to exactly wire it to my application. I purchased a Painless harness to go along with it (harness as in the one that plugs into the pins in the back of the alternator) and it has two wires coming out of it, and which two terminals they come out of exactly is a bit fuzzy at the moment. The terminals are labeled respectively on both harness/alternator P L F S.

I know I have to send the charge wire from the alternator to the back of the starter lug, but am kind of fuzzy on where I connect the other wires to. There's a red wire, and then there's a white wire, which (in the directions) needs a resistor in between it and wherever it connects to. Is this the voltage sensing wire?? Does this hookup to the ignition switch that I have inside on a switch box?

Here is a link to the harness I am using:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=PRF-30707
http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../prf-30707.pdf

Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The #1 terminal goes to the dash light or another hot when on source, if you dont use a light it needs a resistor in the line. The #2 wire is the voltage sensing wire. It should go a 12 volt connection near the fuse panel some where to make the alt work efficiently.

There are several threads here on this subject and if you google 10si wiring you will get tons of information. The Mad electrical site probably has the most complete information on this subject you will find anywhere.

Most harnesses are already setup up for a 10si alternator, Im surprised yours is not

Chet
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
The #1 terminal goes to the dash light or another hot when on source, if you dont use a light it needs a resistor in the line. The #2 wire is the voltage sensing wire. It should go a 12 volt connection near the fuse panel some where to make the alt work efficiently.

There are several threads here on this subject and if you google 10si wiring you will get tons of information. The Mad electrical site probably has the most complete information on this subject you will find anywhere.

Most harnesses are already setup up for a 10si alternator, Im surprised yours is not
I have googled as well as read the entire Mad electrical article. It never once says where it connects to - only references the junction block. Does the wire connect to a specific wire ONLY for this purpose? If this is the case, my car may be too old to have a wire for that, as it's a '70 Nova and it didn't come with an internally regulated alternator. The voltage sensing wire is I'm guessing the mystery red wire, and is that a positive lead from anywhere throughout the car (junction point/lug at the starter??) that goes to the alternator to regulate the voltage throughout? If that is the case, can I have both the battery/voltage sensing wire spliced together to the back of the starter? Or would that basicly be turning it into a 'one-wire' and not 'sense' the correct voltage for compensation throughout the system?What is the purpose of the white (wire that needs a resistor/ignition switch) wire? Does the alternator need to be turned on to work? It's just a bit confusing when I've never had to wire this from scratch before.

Please don't mistake lack of knowledge as lack of research. I've built an entire engine from ground up myself over the past year, and am about to start it up this weekend. (incredibly excited!)

Thanks T-bucket23!

Last edited by mrdreex; 12-31-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Last photo:

Keep the charge wire as short as possible and use at least a #10AWG wire. It can connect directly to the positive battery terminal or a junction point to the positive battery terminal. That year GM product usually used the horn relay as a junction point. See the attached .pdf file.

Vince
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alternator.pdf (5.5 KB, 401 views)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdreex
I have googled as well as read the entire Mad electrical article. It never once says where it connects to - only references the junction block. Does the wire connect to a specific wire ONLY for this purpose? If this is the case, my car may be too old to have a wire for that, as it's a '70 Nova and it didn't come with an internally regulated alternator. The voltage sensing wire is I'm guessing the mystery red wire, and is that a positive lead from anywhere throughout the car (junction point/lug at the starter??) that goes to the alternator to regulate the voltage throughout? If that is the case, can I have both the battery/voltage sensing wire spliced together to the back of the starter? Or would that basicly be turning it into a 'one-wire' and not 'sense' the correct voltage for compensation throughout the system?What is the purpose of the white (wire that needs a resistor/ignition switch) wire? Does the alternator need to be turned on to work? It's just a bit confusing when I've never had to wire this from scratch before.

I will try to dig around to see if I have the specs for the resistor.
Please don't mistake lack of knowledge as lack of research. I've built an entire engine from ground up myself over the past year, and am about to start it up this weekend. (incredibly excited!)

Thanks T-bucket23!
Connecting the sense wire to the same place as the large charge/feed wire will work but it is not the best way to do it. Connecting it somewhere close to the fuse block would probably be better. If you have an unused fues you could use that.
I dont recall what the resistance needs to be for the wire that excites the alt (pin 1) but I know it was covered here. If you are using a light then it is no big deal, if not the voltage should be dropped a little.

Chet
Old 12-31-2008, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Nevermind, you cleared it up for me T-bucket23. Thanks again guys!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Read this thread, post 6 has a lot of information that may apply to you. Also there are a couple of simple diagrams for converting from a external regulator to an internal. They may not apply directly but good basic info

Alternator thread

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.