Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powertrax Lock-Right Lockers 9-Inch Ford Any good?

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  S10xGN 
#1 ·
I'm looking to build another 3rd member with 4,30's and am wondering if the Powertrax Lock-Right Lockers will be ok in a 450 RWT S10 N2o. It makes around 500 whp on a 150 shot about 358 whp motor NA on a Dyno Dynamic dyno. On a DynoJet its 392wh NA 548 N2o so thats about the abuse it will see.

I don't want to go full spool I drive it too much on the street but I'm on a budget so I'm looking at options.

#3 ·
I was happy with mine. I would say to run synthetic gear lube if you are going to do much cold weather driving. Mine would not lock in reliably in cold weather until the fluid (non-synth) warmed up some. IIRC would only do it when temps were in the teens (F*) or below.

#5 ·
I warrantied 3 of them in a GM 10 bolt 8.5" truck.

I tried the inexpensive ption, and I could have gotten the most expensive options after I was finished.

I assume your S10 has leaf springs as well. They will eventually wear out. They do make a better system calle dteh "No SLip Traction System", which are quieter.

peace
Hog

#6 ·
The Lock Right for the 9 inch Ford is different from all of the others. All of the GM and other Lock Right kits come complete with drivers and couplers, but the 9 inch Ford kit uses the original axle gears as the couplers. If you don't have a good set of axle gears then you won't be able to use it. I don't really like the Lock Right for the 9 inch. I've had a Lock Right in my 4X4 GM truck for many years and I've put over 150,000 miles on it with no problems, but the 9 inch Ford is just not built the same. If I were you I'd look on ebay for a used NASCAR Detroit Locker.

#7 ·
These kits are essentially a "drop-in" in most rears, meaning you won't need to mess with the gear setup. But the 9" will need to come apart for installation. Since this is the case, I'd use something better. You can find used Detroit lockers on E-Bay for well under $300 while the Lock-rites are over $400...

Russ

#8 ·
Just a word of caution, if you take our advice and get a Detroit Locker from ebay, pay attention to the bearing size. You can not use a Detroit Locker that uses the 3.25 bearings unless you have an after market case with the 3.25 bearing bore. The stock Ford cases have a 3.06 or 2.89 bearing bore.

#9 ·
i had them front and rear in a toyota p-up.
the rear one slipped a few times and kinda rounded the teeth, after that it wouldnt always stay locked
the front one lasted pretty well, but the rear got replaced with a detroit locker.
i would not recomend them for high traction plus high HP.

i would go mini spool

#10 ·
I think I am going to bite the bullet and go with a ready to drop in unit from quick performance. I can get a 4.11 Eaton truetrak for right under 1k. I'm pricing everything out and it going to be about the same price for me to put it together myself. So I think that is my best option.

Is 400 fpt too much for a stock pinion support on drag radials?

#12 ·
Just today (on E-Bay) there was a 2.89" case locker for $265 and a couple 3.06" units for $325. Another thing about the used NASCAR stuff, usually the right side axle is splined directly to the case and only the left side ratchets. Makes right turns sound kinda "crunchy"...

Russ

#15 ·
Most NASCAR stuff comes from Gforce/TexRacing and has a ratchet on both sides. I guess they could be putting different springs in each side to make it act weird.

The Circle Track Locker from Eaton splines the left axle to the case and only ratchets on the right side.

The Circle Track Racing (CTR) version of the Detroit Locker is made exclusively for left hand turn racing. By fine tuning the proven race technology of the Detroit Locker the Detroit Locker CTR is able to increase performance in Circle Track applications. It is engineered to allow the right wheel to differentiate while keeping 100% traction on the left wheel. The innovative new design allows for deeper turn entries and higher exit speeds. The ability to stay on the gas longer into the turn and return to the pedal faster leaving the turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.