PPG BC/CC Problem (Pics Inside) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PPG BC/CC Problem (Pics Inside)

Hey guys this is my first post over here, i've been reading here for a bit trying to get some knowledge for my first attempts at HVLP painting. I'm using a harbor freight hvlp gun with a 1.4 tip, craftsman 6hp 30 gallon compressor and i've run both 25 and 40 psi at the gun. Using the ppg shopline bc/cc system and i've used dupli-color rattle can primer, which i think may be causing some problems but some things with it still don't make sense.

I started out by painting my ls6 intake and front bumper support i used the same method i'm using for my engine bay, dupli color rattle can primer and then bc/cc over that and both of those turned out pretty good for the first pieces i've painted.

Now on to the problem i'm having, after shooting one coat of base once again over the rattle can primer under the hood i had an excessive amount of trash so i put up some plastic and a couple fans inside my garage to try and cut down on debris and it did help out. So i scuffed the first coat with a red scrotch brite pad and shot 3 more coats, on the third coat i had one small place about the size of your finger nail that started to wrinkle up. So i sanded down the area reprimed and tried to blend it in and since then the problem has only gotten worse and started to attack other areas of the paint. Here is the small spot that started this
And now i've got real problems, after scuffing the basecoat and putting on two light coats and a heavy coat i've got this:
However where the original wrinkle was it is now ok
So do you think this is a direct result from the laquer based primer reacting with the bc/cc? Although no problems on the intake or bumper support, i didn't realize this could be a problem until i already had the engine bay primed and ready to go. I've went through about three different mixtures of paint, 1 pint and 2 quarts mixed at different times is that a problem? Also is there such a thing as too many basecoats? Everything i've gathered so far it seems to be some type of chemical reaction from something and trying to make the paint lift, oh and by the way i've been breaking down the gun and cleaning with paint thinner and then running a bit of reducer through it. Sorry for the long post guys but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 PM

bc cc problem

On the wrinkle parts , looks like your time between coats is too short.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

Ok that was something i was considering, i waited about 12 min. between coats but i'm thinking it may be to cold in the garage and i need to wait longer. It's about 65 in there right now with just my small heater running. I'm thinking of trying to sand out the wrinkles tomorrow with 600 and then mixing up a quart of basecoat and adding a cap of hardner and then firing up my big heater to get the temp around 75 or so. So with medium reducer and hardener what do you guys think 25 mins? PPG says 5-10 mins between coats at 70 but something aint working for me.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The problem is with your primer ....its not cured ...you have to get all that off and start over again..If it was me I use an epoxy reduced 20 -30 % let it sit a couple hrs then paint..
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

rattle cans don't belong on cars

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.