Ppg Clear Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 10:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ppg Clear Questions

Hi everyone I'm new to the board ,lots of great information here.
I have some questions re PPGs newer clears. First off let me start by giving a short background.Owned a custom shop for 15 yrs,been painting for 27 yrs . took a few years off and lots of changes. for the last few years I have been doing small stuff ,bikes ,snow mobiles ect... I have been using stratoclear with great results. Now a group of friends are all doing project cars inc. myself and I'm the painter.

My jobber put me into concept 2021, I'm using dcx61 for hardner and 860 or 870 depending on shop conditions. I can get it to lay down pretty good for the most part but not as good as the stratoclear. If i try and push it on a little I end up with a small hanger here and there. Spraying with an iwata lph 400 1.3 18 to 20 psi on my cheater valve,fluid adj in pretty far. What I dont like is it takes 2021 almost an hour to get out of dust .I'm working in a friends shop crossdraft booth big compressor,no bake.

I have always used ppg so i want to stick with it ,wondering if anyone likes dc3000 seems very fast sim to stratoclear. I was told by the jobber not to use strato on completes ,and the p sheet for dc3000 says 1 to 4 panels ?

Sorry for the long post thanks again for all the great info(loved the cleargloss test)

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Last photo:

A PPG rep told me to apply the first coat of clear and wait about 30 minutes or more before applying additional coats. If the second coat is applied too quickly the first coat has not been allowed enough time to firm up and runs are more likely.

Vince
Old 03-21-2005, 08:40 PM

2082 which is the strato clear IMO sucks!!
It dries way to fast for complete. So does dc3000, the most I never pushed that clear was a complete front clip and one door on a late model S10.
Darn near by the time I finished with the first coat it was ready for the second. DC3000 is a awesome spraying clear also one of the cleanest clears.

Strato tends to turn yellow as well as 2042.
2042 is inbetween strato and 2021 as for drying times. But NEVER use 2042 on light blues or whites if you are blending into a existing paint job. It will make your adjact(panel with 2042 and panel with old paint) panels look like two totally different colors

Throw that Dt860 in the trash!!! That reducer is pure crap, it flashes off darn near before it hits the panel. I sprayed nothing but with 870 and 880 in Northern Iowa during the dead of winter, with a non heated booth, just heated via regular shop heat.
WIth Dt860 you are putting on more clear to get it to flow, then you would with 870.

Try 2055, it dries a tad faster then 2021 and imo is easier to work with, plus I think its cleaner.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips guys,i'll look into 2055.

edited:
I just pulled the p sheet for 2055 off my jobbers website .Am i reading this correct that you have to add dx 84 or dx87 ? or is this an option to extend potlife?

Last edited by HARDEIGHT; 03-21-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: found new info

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.