Hot Rod Forum banner

PPG Deltron 2000

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  69 widetrack 
#1 ·
Just painted my 1961 Corvette on which I am doing a rotisserie restoration. Two weeks ago I had a professional painter shoot the basecoat (PPG 2000) and clear coat (PPG DCU 2002.

Since then I have discovered a couple of prep flaws (I did the prep using PPG's All-U-Need and K-36).

My question is: Can I refinish just the immediate areas of the flaws, or do I need to redo the entire panels which contain the flaws? Either way, what is the process? Filling and priming with K-36? or what???

Sure wish I had noticed the flaws before painting.

Any help would be appreciated. Except for these two flaws, it looks perfect!

#2 ·
I assume it must be a flaw that must be too much to wetsand & polish? If the flaw is that bad why would it have been painted over? Would have been easier to repair before it was finished. It would be best to repair, then blend your color & clear the entire panel. Pictures or better description of the flaw would be helpful, dirt or sand scratch etc.

#4 ·
X2 on what ppgsprayer said, for next time, prep flaws can often be caught if you use guide coat...when used properly, the smallest pin hole, sand scratch whatever can be detected before you apply that expensive top coat.

And yes, pictures or a better description of the flaw would enable a better response on how to repair the flawed areas.

Ray

#6 ·
It depends on what color it is as to how easy it will be to repair and spot. Have to ask why anyone with a 61 Vette would not go over it with a fine toothed comb before sending it to a painter. Also what painter would see obvious flaws and not advise the owner?

Vince

#7 ·
X2 on the painter Vince...he's the last line of defense...when I painted in shops...I was in charge of the preppers...the reason, I was supposed to know what would be acceptable and what what wouldn't...that responsibility lays heavily on the painter....after all, I was a prepper before I ever painted the inside of a fender.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.