ppg deltron or dupont centari 600/6000s? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 08:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

ppg deltron or dupont centari 600/6000s? Also what gun?

Hi all!

I have problems deciding which paint to go. The EU is banning thinner based top coats starting next year so I have to buy the paints for my challenger before that, probably next week.

I'm total beginner when it comes to painting so I could use some advices. I've read from this board that duponts chroma base is good but afaik that line isn't available here in Finland.

I'm painting my car with mopar plum crazy bc&cc and the two realistic paint choices would be ppg deltron or duponts centari 600 (or 6000s). The price is about the same for both so the only thing that matters is the paint's properties. So which one I should go? Does anyone know if that centari 600 is even near to chroma base paints?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by 73rustbucket; 11-05-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Based on color match and ease of use, I would get the Deltron.

Also not sure about the EU law but in USA these laws are written where existing inventory can be sold long after the law.
It would be worth asking about before you panic.

I know the old 82 clear was still being found six and seven years after outlawed.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:38 AM

Not really panicked but going to get the paint in couple of weeks anyway. I asked couple of paint sellers and they said that if I buy my paints before december I should be fine. One seller told me that they aren't refinishing their stock anymore. And being a small country as Finland, the stocks aren't very big and I've heard that some sellers have allready upped their prices.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

OK, do yourself a big favor and store all the paint in a closet or a basement where the climate is stable.

You don't want it getting cold and then hot, so an unheated garage is the worst place to store.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:00 PM

Ok, thanks barryk!

I'm storing my paints in old potato cellar on my parent's house basement. Temperature should stay between 10-15 celcius during summer & winter.

I've been searching the board for the right spray gun for couple of hours and I have to admit that my heard starts to ache.

If i go with the ppg deltron what gun should I use? The paint is metallic so that adds up the challenge. To cut upp the costs I would like to use one gun which is decent for both base coat and clear coat.

For example, is devillbiss gfg-670 plus good for metallic base and clear? I have pretty big compressor so the air isn't a problem. (7.5hp motor and the actual compressor should give atleast about 600 liters/min with 5bar).

Am I shooting my leg if I buy two knock offs from tuulshed. One for base coat and other for clear coat?

Price limit for the gun(s) is something like 300-350$ (I still have to pay the customs etc to get those to Finland)
Old 11-05-2006, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

I try to stay away from the gun threads but my two cents worth
(another dollar and a half will buy you a coffee)
is your using a great paint and I would buy the best gun I could afford with a 1.4 tip and use it for base and clear.
I just think it will make the job look better and make your job easier to spray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.