Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - PPG Deltron Epoxy Primer
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Hdy John, a couple questions about the rust mort...
I dont use it, I use Ospho, but did you sand the mort before you primed it?
I always dewax first then sand with 180 DA and since the da wont sand dngs and little dimples I scuff with a red pad then dewax again tack (yes I tack the bare steel) then epoxy prime....
How did you apply the rust mort? I use a red scuff pad and scrub it inwipe all the excess off with a paper shop towel leaving almost nothing when I'm done.
phosphric acid is about the best way to remove rust at a micoscopic level I even use it on sand blasted surfaces but I've never had this problem ..its fairly common and I'd like to get to the bottom of it and why people are having problems using it. like I said I only use Ospho but how different can the products be???
Mike I honestly do not remember the details. It has been 5 years ago I think. I am sure I would have scoured the crease area with a red scotchbrite pad. I always do. I don't remember what I did to neutralize it nor do I remember for sure what I sanded it with. There is no doubt I would have sanded it but it is so shiney I am wondering if I didn't decide that the scotchbrite pad was good enough. The rest of the car is still looking good but the doors (done the same time) are bubbling badly in the reveal area only. The rest of the doors are both still excellent.

John L