Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - PPG Deltron Epoxy Primer
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
That certainly looks like an acid issue,if thats metal showing..
I think I'd toss that rust mort and either use Ospho or nothing at all..
Did you epoxy then use the filler on top of that or filler to the metal?
The thickness of the material is one of the main reasons I hate 2k primer,once you guide coat it and get it straight most people stop right there but theres still a ton of material on there that doesnt need to be there,causing thick,nasty lookin chips and cracking in some cases,door edges especially...
I think I'd try getting a razor blade in there between the metal and whatever that is and trying to scrape it off until it sticks..It should scrape right off,at least down as far as it starts sticking again ...is that happening anywhere on the rest of the car?
Yes, I did Epoxy and then filler and then 2k. Sealed with epoxy and painted. I have used RustMort for years as you have used Ospho. Scrubbed my 57 Olds with after stripping because surface rust had begun to come through the paint. I had no issues with it ever.

This roadster had either been rolled or broadsided hard. The body work was very badly done. Even the lip had been cut off the rear of the doors. I made new skins and replaced about the the rear 8 inches of both doors. The point is the doors were far from cherry and indeed do have more material on them than would be optimal.

I agree totally this is an adhesion issue. I don't think it is the fault of the RustMort. I do think I have probably failed to clean and sand the surface properly. Once I get the cowl buffed I will take a razor and test further.

This is the door before it was painted.