PPG Deltron Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PPG Deltron Question

I was able to get a gallon of PPG DBC Deltron but I am having a hard time finding the reducer or any one who will ship it to me (In California). I dont want to go mixing brands but if need be what urethane would you recomend? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

PPG does not allow selling their products online I believe. I think they are very protective of jobbers territories. Hard to believe it can't be found out in s. cal though, with how big hot rods and cars are out there, but I am guessing maybe its because of your states voc laws.

A quality brand of urethane reducer should work (ie not cheap stuff), from an upper paint line. You do not want to use a cheap line of reducer in a good line of base like deltron- ie don't use omni reducer in deltron. You also don't not want to use a reactive reducer- basemaker, like some lines like dupont chromabase, ppg dbu, or sherwin williams uses, that has extra stuff in it, dbc uses just ordinary solvent reducer with no funny stuff. You can add a capful of your clearcoat hardener to mixed quart to give it better propertys and adhesion with the clear also, but do not pour any extra in your cup back in with your unmixed paint if you do.

Southern Polyurethanes southernpolyurethanes.com has good reducer that was originally modeled after the dt reducers, and have even improved it since then. The numbers are similar to what dt reducers use for speeds. If there isn't a jobber in your area you can order it online. If there is a jobber in your area, they can point you in there direction. Not positive about ability to ship to regulation and law happy California though, something you would have to field if you talk to them. I do see they have a 0 voc reducer though. Luckily the state I live in, is fairly relaxed on the environmental laws then a lot of other states, and are a bit slower to move before you can no longer spray something you like and are use to using.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice! I was told by everyone that they couldn't sell me the reducer because of California's voc laws, the shop that sold me the Ppg Deltron was hesitant on shipping it to me once he found out I was in cali. Luckly the guys at SPI helped me out, they are shipping me their universal clear and a reducer for my Ppg that is legal here un Cali... Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Glad SPI was able to help you out. Great people to deal with and excellent customer services, good products at a fair price. I love there universal clear, its what I used on the last few things I painted. I never had to use a no voc reducer. Hope everything goes well for you. I use to really like ppg. Its the brand I would usually buy if doing something at home outside the job. But with the majors being so ridiculous on price nowadays, its good to know there are a few companies such as spi out there, where you can still get quality at a fair price.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM

Omni reducer in Deltron is fine. The Reducer evaporates as it dries. It does not stay on the vehicle like the base does, its for basecoat reduction viscosity to spray the paint and bond it then evaporates. The only times it may matter is with heavy metallic colors that may bunch more with cheaper reducers although i'm not so sure about that being the case.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Sorry to tell you, but your misinformed. See how many painters agree you should use a low line reducer like omni in a midline base like deltron. Omni reducer is watered down cheap solvents. You may luck out and get away with it, but then again you may regret it. If your spending the money on Deltron base, and using a good clear like spi, trying to pinch pennys and save a few bucks on reducer by using a lower line in a good base is a real stupid place to try and save it. Pretty cheap compared to cost of other things, and why would you want to risk problems by using a lower grade solvent?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Well im using SPI's urethane reducer just because of the good things Ive heard about SPI's clear. When I called and ordered the Clear from SPI the person I talked to told me that he has used there urethane on Deltron with no problem... Not trying to pinch pennies but was rather looking for my best options with what i can find in my area. See how it goes
Old 01-12-2012, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

I was referring to the poster above suggesting to use omni reducer in deltron, not you 66. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 PM

Kenseth,I am on your side on that one,that cheap reducer is a big no-no!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

The Dt reducers are still compliant everywhere in Cali , its the bases that are out. The Envirobase clears still use the DT reducers.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
Sorry to tell you, but your misinformed. See how many painters agree you should use a low line reducer like omni in a midline base like deltron. Omni reducer is watered down cheap solvents. You may luck out and get away with it, but then again you may regret it. If your spending the money on Deltron base, and using a good clear like spi, trying to pinch pennys and save a few bucks on reducer by using a lower line in a good base is a real stupid place to try and save it. Pretty cheap compared to cost of other things, and why would you want to risk problems by using a lower grade solvent?

i've used omni reducer a ton with Deltron 2k with no issues. Well other than the occasional metallic bunching rarely but like i said i'm still not sure thats a reducer issue. And considering DT is almost twice the price of Omni, its a big savings since reducer goes fast.

I think most economical shops will say its fine but most big shops will go by the book or whatever their reps tell them, who are also making a cut of everything they purchase. Big shops make a ton of money so don't mind spending a lot. I think there are quite a few myths about the lower end lines of paints since many Omni mixes can come out very similar to Deltron mixes but it depends on the color. Its the color matching that makes the higher lines of paints so much better for shops since Omni mixes only have one choice. You also get better coverage with the higher lines of paints, Omni is very fillered down. Its still a good way to go if you aren't trying to spend a fortune on paint especially in the red or yellow varieties. If paint is peeling or has issues its generally from prep or mix, not the paint itself from my experience.

I've talked to a lot of paint reps and they all want to sell you on the most expensive lines saying this and that because they're on commission. Whether its base, clear, whatever...but reality is if you do your prep right and know how to body/paint well with a good booth you can do jobs just as good as anyone thats using top of the line products. The difference can be negligible. Not saying top of the line products aren't better or lower end don't have issues at times but its overblown. Next time you are trying to get a color without having to color match something, ask your jobber for a small quantity of Omni plus and compare it to Deltron2k. It will most likely be very close if not exact to the prime formula for the same Deltron2k color.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.