PPG Epoxy Primer - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hvac phil , i'm sure all the painters on the spi site will be glad to know how much you appreciated the help they gave you over the last year doing your mustang. right up til jan of this year you were still posting asking for help and getting it. nice to see your true colors cowboy .

mike, your post is so absurd there is no point in replying to it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

LOL,If thats your reply ,heres an example and if you want I'll go back and copy and paste the responses including yours...
I asked about the wet sand paper grits like P400 and what its equivalent would have been before the new system came out, maybe a conversion chart.....
All the responses were about how to sand and how every member there sanded and what grits THEY used. One member with a well stroked ego even stated he had no need to block with 400 (I guess because he was SO good) the point is, everyone jumped in and explained the proper way to sand according to them ...no one answered the question (maybe because none of them with the exception of you ,were around when the system changed) I ended up getting the chart right here at HR.
They may be helpful to a newbie but its been my experience that theres ALWAYS several ways to do every job....thinking there is only one way to do a job....now thats absurd. I compare it to H.A.M.B and how they all think alike
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Omni Epoxy

I have personally used the Omni epoxy primer after switching from regular PPG DP40 (at that time). While the Omni epoxy is suppose to be close to regular DP, it is not. We used it in the shop for about one and a half years, and actually at that time, had a few cars come back for peel due to the epoxy primer. I threw the rest in the garbage and went back to regular PPG DP. Never had another issue. After finding out about SPI's epoxy, I am going to call them and get me some of that stuff. I am sold on PPG DP, and we have done several tests using it over the past twenty years or so. One test was we sprayed some black iron, threw it outside the shop and left it. We would pick it up from time to time and check it out. Five years later that DP was still on the part protecting it from rust (corrosion). This was through harse winters too. DP reminds me of the product (Zinc Chromate Primer)we used when I was with the USAF as a Airframe repairman. Even smells the same. I would never use Omni epoxy again. I will be trying SPI's epoxy though.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Its been a while but DP-40 used to be my brand ,nothing wrong with it as far as protection goes but the SPI has a few distinct advantages over it.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM

DP40 has always been good stuff, but the main thing i never liked about it is that it does not sand worth a crap! Yeah, I gotta try the epoxy primer that Barry has.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.