PPG epoxy primer probs. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2003, 03:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post PPG epoxy primer probs.

Has anyone here encountered any trouble using these epoxy primers with air dry top coats? I used a High build primer and didn't allow enough cure time between primer and top coat. The PPG tech sheet specs were followed to a "T", but now I have to stip off the topcoat, sand and repaint. The store and PPG regional rep. basically blamed technique and temperature as the culprit. The paint has been dry for a month but it's not even close to being cured because the epoxy is still giving off fumes. Xylene wipes it off in seconds. I even tried running parts through a bake oven, but the topcoat lost its adhesion. Does anyone wonder if these reps just come around and make excuses to wear you out so you'll just shut up & put up? Live and learn I guess.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2003, 03:55 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

as long as i know theres no bad reps its always people, guy behind spray gun that makes mistakes, i guess ur gun setup was wrong, since u say it still gives off fumes u probably shot it so wet, and didnt let time to flash off as ure SUPPOSED to or it will run and delaminate and just fail... have to read those p pages real good.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:02 PM

I just painted my frame a couple weeks ago, epoxy primer waited 2 hrs. at 60 deg. then topped it with some acrylic enamel, no problems. How long did you wait to topcoat it ?

Later, Mark
Old 01-13-2003, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Hey its very likley its my fault after all. I'm a metal fabricator, not a painter. I've done a fair bit of painting, with good and bad equip. (I've never had formal training however.) I dont have a lot of experience with epoxies, mainly air dry xylene based industrial paints. It just frustrates me to no end that I followed the instructions VERY carefully. The spray pattern (on our new offshore devibiss copy POS) may have been the main underlying problem. We've used copys with good luck in the past, But none of us like the latest replacement gun we're currently using. Won't fan out well. (maybe I haven't gotten used to it yet) Still trying to figure it out.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Hey hotRod... first session was about 1 hr (min rated topcoat time) Shop temp was 65deg. Since it didn't work well, I increased the shop temp to 70 deg. and waited 8 hrs to topcoat. It actually turned out worse. Thats the puzzling part. I have since priced some high end spray guns. Don't epoxy primers cure chemically? or do they flash off the same as other paints?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:35 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

so ure saying that u waited liek 6 hours between coats???? also what size gun did u use?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

The tip I was using was a 1.6 . The tech sheet spec'ed a 1hr to 24 window for topcoating. The primer and topcoat were both PPG products and compatable. I was however getting some heavy orange peel in some areas.(primer) I mixed with a power mixer and used no reducer. (Reducing was optional-was supposed to be ready to spray) I was told surface temp and shop temps are two different things, and a heavier coat would lengthen the recoat window significantly.(of course this was after the fact.) The shop owner offered to supply more top coat, which is decent I suppose.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:00 PM

DP IS A OLD PRODUCT WHEN THEY CAME OUT WITH DPLF IT WAS NOT AS GOOD A SEALER.PUT DP AND ACTIVATER TOGETHER IT WILL NOT HARDEN FOR A LONG TIME.FOR THIS REASON WE SWITCHED TO PPG URETHANE SEALER IT COMES IN 3 COLORS DRIES FASTER AND DOSN'T SHRINK LIKE DP.I THINK DP HAS ITS PLACE BUT NEWER AND BETTER PRODUCTS HAVE MADE ITS USES LIMITED.WHEN DP CAME OUT IN 1980 OR SO IT WAS A GOD SEND FOR BARE METAL AND SEALING. ASK THE PPG REP ABOUT NEW SEALERS.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:01 PM

FORGOT TO ADD SOUNDS TO ME LIKE ACTIVATOR IS OLD OR BAD.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I just wanted to add that I have limited experience on catalized epoxy primer/sealers. I have found that it is more than one or two very light coats WITH reducer, it takes up to a week to cure. I use quiet a bit with my s-10 and had no problems. I always shot the epoxy at the end of the weekend(weekend project) and let it dry for the week. I tryed working the day after, and there were always soft spots. They did cure over time though and gave a very hard, nice finish.

I am thinking that your temp was probably too low and the coat was too thick. It just needed more time to cure.

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 06:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Sounds like technique problem. Don't feel bad, I just did a spray job last week using $$polye$ter $ primer $$$ and forgot to put in the hardner! Expensive mistake not to mention the total mess of strippign off that semi-dry sticky gunk!!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

yeah it sounds to me like your hardener was mislabeled as such, or somone forgot to add it..
Old 01-14-2003, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips guys; I'm in the middle of removing the top coat, and I'll give it another try in a week or so. Stripping small parts is no problem, a dip in xylene for 2 mins and a brush off/ wipe down and its gone. Hasn't affected the primer at all...its rock hard. Thanks again.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.