Ppg Expert Needed . Help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 07:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ppg Expert Needed . Help!

Hi guys heres my problem. I'm having a bad mottleing problem on a silver complete I'm doing. I have shot silver many times before and never encountered mottleing this bad.

I'm using DBC

Reducer dt870 /dt885

iwata lph400 with a 1.3 tip,

I have tried air pressure from 15psi up to 60 psi

tried going full lenth of the car, bad , criss cross ,bad,

the only thing that helped was going to 870 ,raising air press and pulling back my distance to about a foot to a foot and a half.Problem is it;s still not right.

I trimmed all the parts (jambs inner fdr wells ect) and didn't notice this problem

I am not using the dx57 additive ,is anyone familiar with this? Will this help.

the color is a super fine metallic silver and anything less than 100% is not acceptable to me.

I need your help

thanks Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Last photo:

When I painted my 69 Camaro about 10+ years ago I had the same problem with the Cortez silver Ditzler lacquer. I discovered I was laying it on too heavy (wet). Once I started spraying it a little less heavy and increasing my overlap that took care of it.

Vince
Old 05-01-2005, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Mottling and tigerstripes with a fine metalic mean the product is being applied to heavy for sure. How is the paint covering? 2 coat coverage?

I like to paint haevy metalics as though I was applying a singlestage metalic, put two or three medium wet coats on then imediately apply two to three drop coats in continuous motion walking the car. This way your coverage is gained with the smooth first coats then the metalics are straightened and perfected on the drop coats. If done right when the base flashes off it is smooth and the metalics perfect. Bob
Old 05-01-2005, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

The superfine metalics are very unforgiving when it comes to surface texture. If you've applied some basecoat that has piled up and shows some amount of peel it will need to be wetsanded smooth before you try it again. Your statement about having better luck with DT 870 and pulling the gun back tells me you're applying it too heavy. Choke the fluid adjustment down and don't put any more than 18psi into the gun. Bob
Old 05-01-2005, 10:22 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

The DX57 will help it act like DBU wich is the caddillac of PPG's choices in the first place
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showpos...11&postcount=5

remember like DBU ,you can't return unused to the can though.

Last edited by milo; 05-01-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys , I know the Iwata likes to get choked down to almost nothing and thats where i have it set. The surface has zero peel in it but now its starting to get a little coarse on some lips and in some valleys, due to the crazy high ap I tried .

This is ironically a 69 camaro also vince.

The way i do colors that I have to get 100% is kind of a goofy but it has always worked in the past. On this job and a dozen others that i needed perfict I shoot the base to achieve full hiding , check the base for flaws ,I will always find something then shoot 2 coats of clear. Wetsand with 600 then go for a flawless base in 1 or 2 ultra light coats. I always hated to see a nice candy job that has a grainy or orange peel in the base underneath it.

I was using dbu back then wich seems to lay out heavy comp. to the dbc I'm using on this job.

Any info on the dx57 ?

The shop I'm spraying at has a dupont system and the color in dupont calls for some type of (color locker ) sorry I forgot the actual name of the stuff.

I searched a few old posts and read about putting a urethane hardner in the color and that helps. If thats the case the dx57 might help??

Thanks again Dave
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

,, ,,

Last edited by milo; 05-01-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks milo I was typing with 1 finger when you replied. I cant get dbu here anymore either.

Will the dx57 help ,Im at the point where I will put orange juice in the color if it will make it lay right(lol)
Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Yes Dx57 will make a difference in cases as your having.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

I re read my initial post and need to change something . The color isnt blotchey like when you are spraying a metallic and your hand bumps into a parts stand in the booth and your gun is just sitting there dumping material on the same spot for for 2 or 3 seconds ,(that never happens) lol Its just has light and dark areas that i cant seem to get rid of. This is a color that i cant get away with any little variation.

Thanks again Dave
Old 05-01-2005, 11:15 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I learned about dx57 the same way your going through ,,, however somtimes the dx57 doesn't seem to help that's why you don't use it every time kinda
Old 05-02-2005, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

The Dupont base sprays easier IMO. DBU is almost completely gone in this territory, DBC is alright to spray IMO. If you really want a challenge try Global- it is a total nightmare untill you get used to spraying it. Metalic control is terrible and when you do get it right sometimes the clear will unlock the base and mottle the metalics. Spray technique and proper flashtimes are key- this system isn't for a first timer, those that learned how to spray single stage metalics years ago have an edge.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the help guys . I'm picking up some dx57 today and will give that a try.

Badbob, i know what you mean about clear unlocking the base and makin it go nuts. I try to wait overnight to clear if i can, just to ensure the base has plenty of time to gas out and get stable. Now if I could only get the base right!!!

Thanks again

dave
Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Flame Artist

Last photo:

Hi Dave, Heres my two cents on the subject.

When ever I do a heavy metallic I ALWAYS do 1 or 2 low pressure dust coats after I’ve obtained full coverage, hold the gun about 20” from the surface with your pressure turned WAY down, my “SataJet 2000 digital 2” likes 9-psi at the gauge for this coat.
It should look like your blobbing it on and ruining the whole thing, i.e. the paint droplets should be real BIG if done right, but let that flash for about 15-20min and they will lay-down nice and your modeling problems should be completely salved.

Like the old saying goes “ If all else fails READ the instructions “ and this info came from a Martin SR trouble shooting guide.

Good Luck and don’t be afraid to turn that pressure way down.

Rick.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.