PPG K36 primer w/ purple gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 01:59 PM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PPG K36 primer w/ purple gun

I am laying down K36 with my new HF purple gun and I have a question about how it is supposed to spray and lay out. This is my first experience with painting, and in preparation I have spent lots of time here reading old threads, and taking advice from my paint guy, who has been very helpful.

I am restoring a 71 Chevy pickup at home in my garage, currently working on the bare cab. Its heated and 65-70 degrees is maintained around the clock. I have applied three coats of K36 over PPG epoxy primer. The epoxy I scratched with scottbrite and 100 grip. After three coats of K36 I blocked with 220 all over and 400 on the dash and pillars. My first concern is that I am not moving enough material through my gun. To apply a nice wet coat of primer I have to hold the gun 8 inches from the surface and go quite slow, and that's not how it looks like they do it on TV! My fan pattern seems the correct shape btw when I test on my vertical cardboard test box.

Another concern is that my 4th coat of primer is not laying flat everywhere on top of my seemingly smooth blocked primer surface. On the vertical surfaces like the dash, pillars, and rear of the cab it came out fairly good, but on the roof and door sills I seem to have what looks like lots of little bubbles when the primer is first laid down. After 15-20 minutes those are nearly gone, but I can still see some evidence of the "bubbles" after drying. I am mixing the K36 and K201 catalyst per the can and tech sheet at 5:1. For the 3rd and 4th coats I also added approximately a 1/2 part of acetone. Compressor is puting out 130, gun regulater is set at 40, and I am using the 1.4 tip. I have been diligent about using surface cleaner DX330, wiping that dry and allowing some dry time after that, then tack ragging before spraying.

Obviously however the primer comes out I can block it to be ready for color, I just want to make sure I am applying my primer correctly. I will be spraying Concept SS red over this primer and am hoping I can get a nicer finish when I get to shooting color.

So am I expecting too much from the infamous purple gun and/or am I being way too picky about my primer?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

Do you have the correct "purple" gun? HF sells several paint guns in the same color and not all are HVLP. If yours has HVLP on it then you are okay ...to a point. That gun has a 1.4 tip which is good for base and clear but not the best option for high build primers like the K36. A 1.8 tip would be better but I do not think such a tip is available for the HF HVLP cheapie gun. I used my HF gun to throw my primer on and it was acceptable at a 4:1 ratio but I upgraded to a Devilbiss Finishline set witha 1.8 primer gun and am able to throw more primer than before. You will experience some tip clogging on the 1.4 tip also.

HF does sell a purple gun with looks very similar to the HVLP model but is not HVLP. I have one I use for latex and oil base paints.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Don't use acetone, Mix your primer 5-1-2 (5parts primer, 1part activator, and two parts urethane reducer DT)
Old 11-14-2006, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

I do have the 43430 purple HVLP gun, but had wondered about the smallish 1.4 tip for this primer. My paint shop guy confirmed that also, 1.4 tip is small and he reminded me that acetone was ok when I was back in the epoxy stage not when shooting the build primer. So apparently my bubbles were solvent pop .

I picked up the urethane reducer today, and can try my skills at spraying that once I sand off my incorrectly applied primer in all the places on the cab where it will be seen or exposed to the elements. Learning alot on this part of the truck, but I think lessons learned the hard way are the ones you remember the longest!

Baddbob, so I can reduce that much 5-1-2? I am glad to hear it actually because I am sure that will agree more with my 1.4 tip. My paint shop guy told me I could reduce 10%, which I take to be 5-1-0.5 .
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Last photo:

Acetone is used for polyester primer, urethane reducer is used for urethane primer. Add a little urethane reducer to your mix and it will spray a lot easier and smoother. The 1.4mm tip is not ideal, but it will do the job.

Vince
Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

And,
That gun needs a LOT of air to spray right.
Unless you have a 60 gal/5hp,You might want to consider getting the "other" purple gun which is a conventional style requiring higher psi but less cfm.
Could be why the smaller shoots,dash,jambs,pillars turned out good and your really working the air supply for large areas and running out of air. Something to consider.
Mike.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 AM

Last photo:

My compressor is 7hp/60 gal, but good idea, I will keep an eye on the tank pressure when spraying. I have kept my gun regulator at 40 lbs. figured more that that would be a bad idea, is that the right thinking?

Sanded all the important areas down tonight to get the improperly mixed primer off, it was a ton of material. I scratched the other areas with scottbrite then wiped it all down. Tomorrow I go at it with the correct reducer and see what I get .
Old 11-15-2006, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

You may want to find a DeVillbus model 7 or knock off for k2 primer. There is a 2.2 nozzel for the purple hvlp gun, but that might be too big for k2.
Don
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Cool. Those guns like around 40-45# at the gun regulator so your close on that. Reducing with the urethane will be a big help but you will probbly still have to go a little slow for consistant coverage. Just be sure and do some test shots and after you get that right give it another 1/2 turn on the fluid open which should give you better coverage/speed.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer
You may want to find a DeVillbus model 7 or knock off for k2 primer. There is a 2.2 nozzel for the purple hvlp gun, but that might be too big for k2.
Don
I do have the 2.2 tip for my 43430, but I found that it was just too big, the primer came out like a hose with no pressure.

Hopefully with my mix reduced I can fine tune the gun with the 1.4 on it, up to now I have had all the settings full open to get any kind of good flow.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Last photo:

I also have the 2.2mm tip for my 43430 and found it too big. You will find that when you reduce the K36 it will lay down very nice with the 1.4mm tip and it will have a dull sheen to it with very little orange peel.

Vince
Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I also have the 2.2mm tip for my 43430 and found it too big. You will find that when you reduce the K36 it will lay down very nice with the 1.4mm tip and it will have a dull sheen to it with very little orange peel.

Vince
That is exactly what I have been looking forward to, and figured that the 43430 could do that based on its recommendations here.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Mixed my primer correctly with one part urethane reducer [5-1-1] and it came out very nice. I am now excited to shoot the color, because I know my little purple friend can shoot paint correctly, user errors not withstanding .
Old 11-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Last photo:

Glad everything worked out good for you. The purple gun can do a superb job, given the chance. It will also do a fairly good job with clear if you jack up the inlet pressure to about 45psi.

Vince
Old 11-16-2006, 05:29 PM

paint

grab a copy of car craftdec 06 at ur crnr store i just learned lots frm article about paint etc orange stang on cover

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.